Supra Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im not sure but i get the feeling that the second turbo isnt spooling or its spooling late, any ideas on how i can tell this for sure?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Once you hit about 4500-4800, you should feel a sudden burst of power and that's your second turbo coming online. Sometimes mine comes on as early as 4k rpms.

If you're on sequential set-up, you'll know if it's coming on or not, believe me. But yes, get a boost gauge. It's the one thing I believe our cars SHOULD have come stock with.

·
Registered
967 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
Once you hit about 4500-4800, you should feel a sudden burst of power and that's your second turbo coming online. Sometimes mine comes on as early as 4k rpms.

If you're on sequential set-up, you'll know if it's coming on or not, believe me. But yes, get a boost gauge. It's the one thing I believe our cars SHOULD have come stock with.
couldnt agree more, the boost gauge is essential not only for making sure you arent under/over boosting, but as well as monitoring sequential operation. With the gauge, (if sequential) youll notice a quick dip in boost when the second turbo is coming online, then a burst back up to start peak boosting when the second turbo fully spools.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
^^^^ He's got it, and that dip in boost during the 2nd turbo coming on-line is NORMAL. There have been several threads here asking if that was a problem, but it's not. So get a cheap autometer gauge if you have a budget, just to know what numbers you're boosting.

·
what comes out the butt?
4,469 Posts
also to add, if you have a large core FMIC like myself on the stock twins, you feel second come on a tad later thanks to lag ;)

-mike

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
talking about boost gauges...which brand and model do u guys recommand for someone with reverse gauges??? it can turn blue or green. ANY SUGGESTION with pictures would be great!!!!

Tsung

·
On 2 wheels
750 Posts
MaliCali said:
also to add, if you have a large core FMIC like myself on the stock twins, you feel second come on a tad later thanks to lag ;)

-mike
And then as soon as second hits, its time for fuel cut :p

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
shenofjo said:
talking about boost gauges...which brand and model do u guys recommand for someone with reverse gauges??? it can turn blue or green. ANY SUGGESTION with pictures would be great!!!!

Tsung
Greddy with the black face lights up reverse green.

·
(overspooled)
2,836 Posts
hksguy16 said:
im not sure but i get the feeling that the second turbo isnt spooling or its spooling late, any ideas on how i can tell this for sure?
Make sure Trac control is off or fuse pulled mine acted the same way

·
Registered
967 Posts
I have the greddy 52mm clock location unit. Lights up reverse green like others have said. Pretty plain and simple looking, gets the job done. If you do not know the difference, if its possible get an electronic boost gauge over a manual, and also one that has peak hold. I regret not getting one with peak especially for one located in the stock clock location.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
^^^^ I think the only peak/holds from greddy come in 60mm, and thus won't be fitting in the stock clock location, unless you bore it out.

·
Registered
967 Posts
MarksSupra33 said:
^^^^ I think the only peak/holds from greddy come in 60mm, and thus won't be fitting in the stock clock location, unless you bore it out.
correct, and I only wanted something to fit in the stock clock location. How I stated it came out wrong, I meant he should get one that has a peak hold, not necessarily that he needs to get one that fits the stock clock location.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Of course a boost gauge is essential but usually you will feel the transition to twin turbo mode at around 3000-3500rpm. If the second turbo will not come online you will a great loss of power from 4000rpm upwards since the turbo#1 will only boost around .6 bar max w/o help of turbo #2.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts