Supra Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, having changed the oil a dozen times or so now, I still get an oily arm and a puddle on the floor that my shoulder and hair seems magnetically attracted towards. I've tried stuffing all sorts of rags under, on and around the oil filter before and during removal and still get slimed.

I understand the advantages of having the oil filter always prefilled for engine start-up, but has anyone found a way to make changing the oil a little less wet?

I don't believe in much but I believe I'll have another drink.
Scott

·
Highway Demon
2,869 Posts
well first of all do you try to get the filter from under the car or up top after removing the battery?? i'm gonna guess from up top.. try putting a plastic bag under the filter then unscrew the filter slowly making sure that its lined up with the bag so it'll fall right into it.. then instead of trying to pull it out from the top just hold on to the handles of the bag and slowly lower the bag down on to the arm that sits under the filter assembly.. you can then go under the car and take it out safely without riping the bag or spilling a drop.. well atleast thats how i've been doing it for the past year.. your hand will still get a little oily but this will solve leaving huge puddles of oil under the car..

Brian

·
776 Posts
95jza80tt said:
well first of all do you try to get the filter from under the car or up top after removing the battery?? i'm gonna guess from up top.. try putting a plastic bag under the filter then unscrew the filter slowly making sure that its lined up with the bag so it'll fall right into it.. then instead of trying to pull it out from the top just hold on to the handles of the bag and slowly lower the bag down on to the arm that sits under the filter assembly.. you can then go under the car and take it out safely without riping the bag or spilling a drop.. well atleast thats how i've been doing it for the past year.. your hand will still get a little oily but this will solve leaving huge puddles of oil under the car..

Brian
I just changed the oil/filter last weekend and got the filter from the top. Stupid thing slipped out of my hand and got oil everywhere the first time doing it for a year. Your idea sound great and definitely going to try that next time. Thanks

·
Unchained
633 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
95jza80tt said:
well first of all do you try to get the filter from under the car or up top after removing the battery?? i'm gonna guess from up top.. try putting a plastic bag under the filter then unscrew the filter slowly making sure that its lined up with the bag so it'll fall right into it....

Brian
Brian, that sound like a great idea. I do change the filter from below and really don't mind the oil getting on the floor, a pile of newspaper or sheet of cardboard takes care of that. I don't like, however, the way the oil gushes out of the nipple and filter when it's removed. And if the oil isn't completely cleaned from all the parts it will pickup all kinds of road debris....not to mention there are a few wires directly below the filter location that I'm always leary about soaking with spilt oil. Again, thanks for the tip, I'm going to give this one a try next time.

Hit the road and we're pumpin' thunder.
Scott

1 - 6 of 6 Posts