Supra Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I've got a '94 NA Supra and I'm considering going to NA-TT or doing a GTE swap.

I think I'd like to go for a twin parallel gt28 setup, but not certain yet. I'm after a quick spooling system with good response and acceleration. I'm not after huge power figures, something like 400-500hp. I want to build my Supra for reliable daily driving with handling and response, rather than loads of power and high speeds.

I've come across a GTE with R154 gearbox in my state in Australia for sale, the GTE has no turbos or exhaust manifold, but that'd be alright if I'm going single or twin parallel. But I'm torn between going NA-TT or GTE. I think it'd be cheaper to go NA-TT, but more time consuming and possibly less reliable. Reliability is a real goal for me, because I want to continue daily driving my Supra.

Would the R154 be suitable for my goals? Or would it be worth spending the extra money and getting a V161? I've heard the V161 is a bit clunky, is this true?

If people who have done NA-T conversions could give me some advice that'd be great. If I went NA-T the things I'd like to change would be: TT head gasket, (which is more of a requirement), coil on plug ignition, new intake manifold (not fond of the cross-flow plenum), ARP head studs, new valve covers for aesthetics. There's probably stuff I missed.

What I'm trying to find out is, since I already have a 2JZ-GE, in the long run is it worth putting a turbo or two on it or buying a GTE? I'm able to get the GTE & R154 for $4-4.5k AUD, ($3000-3400 USD).

If anyone could give me some advice that'd be really helpful :)

·
Registered
285 Posts
i'd say either build the 2jzge or get a VVTI 2j ..... but all depends on your power goals. if just needing some extra WHP and not anything too crazy turboing the ge will be just fine and reliable if tuned properly

1 - 2 of 2 Posts