Supra Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently tried confirming if my mkiv’s number two turbo went out by trying the TTC mod. I ended up breaking a part along the way. Does anyone know what this part number is located in this pic?
Thank you in advance.
By the way, no change. The car keeps blowing blue puffs of smoke at idle at stops (after valve seal job and cover gasket) and it runs like crap with the ttc mod. I’m going single.

Man I miss driving her especially with the summer starting off.

Attachments

·
1,846 Posts
Iacv vsv sensor
25860-46060
About $80

It sounds like blown turbo seals, if you replaced the valve stem seals.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I placed the order on eBay for $59.
By the way, if it is a blown turbo seal, is it a lot of work? Well I have to remove and reinstall the whole turbo system? Maybe I’m better off just taking them off and going single.
Thanks again buddy.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How many miles on the car? Like supradriver247 stated given the age of our cars and mileage I would also suspect a blown turbo seal especially if the smoke condition occurred without prior smoking. usually a blown turbo seal is evident by large amounts of smoke while worn seals usually have wisps of smoke regardless of engine speed.

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How many miles on the car? Like supradriver247 stated given the age of our cars and mileage I would also suspect a blown turbo seal especially if the smoke condition occurred without prior smoking. usually a blown turbo seal is evident by large amounts of smoke while worn seals usually have wisps of smoke regardless of engine speed.
The car is a 93.5 and it’s got over 100,000 miles. The speedometer and odometer stopped working a long while back so I’m assuming it’s up there even though I didn’t use her that much in the past 7-10 yrs.

I did the valve seals and the valve cover gaskets. The car continues to smoke at idle when stopped at red lights.
Is a blown turbo gasket difficult to replace? I found some decent used oem twin turbos on eBay but I’m afraid they’ll be a bitch to swap. I’m considering going single but $6,000 plus seems a bit pricy at the time.
Any insight would be appreciated.
Thanks!

·
Registered
146 Posts
It will require turbo removal and disassembly to replace the turbo seals if this is the issue. Essentially the amount of disassembly required to go single turbo, minus manifold removal. Manifold removal is an easy step after everything else is removed anyway, so the labour is very similar whether you are replacing/rebuilding OEM turbos, or installing a bolt-on single turbo kit like PHR's street torque kit.

The other thing to consider is if you stay OEM - how many vacuum lines, VSVs, and other components may break or be brittle upon removal and need replacing? You may be looking at more than turbo rebuild cost, but also replacing other worn components along the way.

If it is in your budget, I would strongly recommend going with an off-the-shelf turbo kit, such as the PHR street torque kit.

·
Registered
876 Posts
The other thing to consider is if you stay OEM - how many vacuum lines, VSVs, and other components may break or be brittle upon removal and need replacing? You may be looking at more than turbo rebuild cost, but also replacing other worn components along the way.
^^^ This. Plan on this anyway - the car is old enough that if it's not a problem now, it will be RealSoon.

My 94 was smoking at startup - typical valve-stem seals. As I pulled everything off to get to them, tons of rubber lines etc. were rock hard or cracking. I wound up replacing every hose and gasket I could get to, quite a few that I simply pulled stuff off just to be able to replace them.

Two I couldn't get to are the two thin vacuum ones here (just above and left of the red 5), going from the metal pipes up top to the pipes behind/below that lead to the pressure tank. So that kind of force me into a wired-open TTC mod :p

·
Registered
384 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After much consideration and wait, I ordered my single turbo. I won’t be looking to impress or be a speed demon, but I do want to enjoy driving my car on the weekends and turning heads without any further issues.
All in all, I went for the precision gen 1 sp cea turbo/billet 6266 journal bearing t4 .68 v band. Wish me well 😏.
Thanks for all the comments.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts