Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, as you can see I'm new. I joined to get some answers I have about a project I have planned for when I graduate college (2 more years :eek: ).

I know this seems random, but here are a few measurements I need just to keep my brain rolling;

1. How much does a non turbo and turbo supra motor weigh?

2. How much horsepower can a stock rear suspension and axle hold?

3. How wide is a MKIV engine bay, and how long?

4. Around-abouts what is the production ratio between manual and automatic MKIV supras?

5. Does the factory manual transmission have a removable bellhousing?

6. How much on the car does the factory computer control? Does it control headlights and other simple functions or just engine and drivetrain management?

Thats about it for now, thanks.

·
Premium Member
10,170 Posts
All I know is #6: It doesn't control lights. It controls the engine and tranny if auto. There is a seperate computer for traction control, and another for ABS I believe.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
HEY ARE YOU WRITING A BOOK ON THE SUPRA:rant: :rant:
JUST PLAYING I OWN ONE AND I CANT EVEN HELP YOU

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
jkisneffect said:
HEY ARE YOU WRITING A BOOK ON THE SUPRA:rant: :rant:
JUST PLAYING I OWN ONE AND I CANT EVEN HELP YOU
Nope, putting this in one;

Just need to size everything out.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
Jesus no!!! If you are inserting any form of V8 in an MKIV it better be a lexus 4.3L or 4.7L with a set of hairdryers.

A Chevy small block?? At least make it a 502, then add a couple of blowers :)

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it is a 454 small block. Im not sure a big block will fit, and in many ways a small block still remains superior to a big block (ability to rev, and horsepower/dollar)

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
I believe it's been done before so yeah it will fit. Just don't expect to get too much support from a community that has 900+RWHP examples running around on stock shortblocks :rolleyes: The rear will hold quite a bit of power, 6K 2step launches on my car w/ET Streets didn't faze it and others have put far worse to them. 6spd is pretty long, you'll likely want an auto. Rear gear is pretty low, like a low 3 series. I don't think the hoodline will be an issue so long as you're EFI - the 2JZ is longer than the SBC... Good luck but I think you're nutz too. Drop that motor into a nice light 240Z ala HybridZ.org - that's a much better choice and lighter too!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For a trans I was planning on running a TH400 3spd auto with a gearvendors overdrive system which splits gears, so it will have a 6spd auto transmission. Then a chevy yoke on one end of the driveshaft and a toyota on the other, and that should be the drivetrain

·
rockin' the JDM duct tape
521 Posts
moloko fan, moloko?

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Moloko said:
Well it is a 454 small block. Im not sure a big block will fit, and in many ways a small block still remains superior to a big block (ability to rev, and horsepower/dollar)

do your research dude... a 454 is a big block... the biggest small blocks that chevy made stock were 427's... and i dont see why your would want to bore/stroke a sbc that much anyways... if your possesed on putting a v8 in a supra, then a forced induction sbc would be the way to go.. lighter than the bbc and it will have better weight distribution...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
415, 427, and 454 small blocks have come out in the aftermarket in recent years from Merlin. They are called "Motown" blocks.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4622&prmenbr=361

The custom blocks allow even that displacement out of a small block to be reliable, and they offer a 2 year 24k mile warranty.

The largest small block that Chevy made were 400's. The Chevy 427 was also a big block.

W

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Moloko said:
415, 427, and 454 small blocks have come out in the aftermarket in recent years from Merlin. They are called "Motown" blocks.

http://www.jegs.com/cgi-bin/ncommerce3/ProductDisplay?prrfnbr=4622&prmenbr=361

The custom blocks allow even that displacement out of a small block to be reliable, and they offer a 2 year 24k mile warranty.

The largest small block that Chevy made were 400's. The Chevy 427 was also a big block.
ahh my bad... i thought you were gonna use a stock sized block... but if your gonna use a merlin motor than that seems like a waste of money to me... 10k for the 454 long block.. thats a fully built 2jz right there.. and you could make as much power and you wont have to fuck arround with fitting it in there...

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
So does anyone know of a SBC will actually fit in the engine bay? Im sure it will fit length-wise, but im worried about the width and height.

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Am I the only one who thinks this is a stupid idea when we have a perfectly good 2jz that will hold 900hp sotck internals?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yeah, but a SBC can do that to *shrugs* I like the 2jz, just want to do something more interesting.

·
Driver Down
1,991 Posts
Is this for an all-out non-streetable drag Supra? If not, its a waste of time and money, IMHO. And an even bigger waste of a nice Supra.

Is the Supra N/A??

Have you thought about doing this swap in a FC RX7? It has been done numerous times, and the kit to throw in a SBC is only about $300

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yea, i'll be looking for a supra with a N/A engine, most likely with a blown motor or trans. Mainly just built to be a cruiser. With proper cam selection a chevy v8 can make plenty of horsepower and still be very mild on the street.

·
Vendor
4,400 Posts
yeah, while the 2jz can obviously put out as much power as he is looking for, the v8 does have one significant advantage. idle-4000rpm. IMO it wont be as fun as the supra, but it would have a much better power band.

although i, too, think that there are much much better (read: lighter and easier) platforms for your project.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts