Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do any of you with the Seibon TS style hood have a problem with the glue that holds the fiberglass crossmembers to the carbon fiber letting lose. Mine has delaminated for probably 60% of the hood (inside soft black colored glue between the shell and the braces on the inside of the hood) If you have the problem how did you fix it? Pictures and explainations welcome.

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
214 Posts
Dang man, that sucks. I don't know whats been up with Seibon lately, I have been hearing lots of bad things about them, such as bad fitment and color defects, and now this.....:rant:

·
Registered
484 Posts
On my TS seibon flew up on me twice. Right where the latch it seems to have torn off. Busted my front window both times and the second time i was doing about 60 so it almost broke the hood in half and dented up my targa and all the way back to the top part of the hatch. Weird thing it would never latch all that good on that passanger side. From what i heard a lot of them are like that.
I haven't contacted Seibon about this yet. They will probably call it user error, so what's the point.

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
I've had the Seibon TS for like a year and dont have this problem. Never heard of this happening till now. Hope you can get it fix without any big problems.

My TS hood hasnt had any of the problems brought up lately.
IE: Fitting/Latching/And this
Took some work to get it installed correctly, but its been great since.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ReI86 said:
This thread doesn't say anything about delaminating.

I just need to know if anyone knows of any hi-temp glue that can be used to attach CF to fiberglass. Other then that the hood fits my car perfect (I did have to cut the shroud though).

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
^ya i had to cut the shroud i had, then bought a new one that was slightly dif then the one i had and the hood just barely touches the new one. It doesnt affect the fit of the hood at all tho.

Anyways, im just wondering if you have a strut bar install along with the seibon ts hood.

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
Same here. I took off my trd bar thinking that was what stopped the hood from fitting well, when it was actually the shroud. After the cuitting, then buying the new one, i havent tried to put the trd bar back on.

Ive been lazy about it to...just figuring it wouldnt work. But ima go find out for sure during my lunch break.

·
Registered
831 Posts
DaSupra said:
Same here. I took off my trd bar thinking that was what stopped the hood from fitting well, when it was actually the shroud. After the cuitting, then buying the new one, i havent tried to put the trd bar back on.

Ive been lazy about it to...just figuring it wouldnt work. But ima go find out for sure during my lunch break.
Please let us know if it fits! I've got a Modellista hood w a similar problem (non-TRD bar), and would like to know if I should buy a TRD strut bar instead.

Thanks! :sadance:

·
95Turbo
930 Posts
Na the hood didnt look right with my TRD strut bar installed.
It still latched and all, but you could tell it was hitting b/c the hood bulged up alittle higher then the fenders around the strut bar area. It was pushed up like an 1/8 of an inch, but it was more then enough to notice.

Ive heard the modellista is alittle different then the seibon, so i dunno if it will or will not work with the trd. I'll prolly have mine for sale soon though if youd be interested. Could use some paint tho.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Thanks for the response. I think the Modellista will have the same problem as well, with the center spine and all. Maybe a little modding on the backside of the spine will give the needed clearance . Cutting away some of the spine at the contact point and laying in a flat steel or aluminum reinforcement peice in its place?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts