Supra Forums banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

· What You Know About That
2,520 Posts
Xenon Supra said:
No problem :) I agree with ya, definately boost before rims :)

How much did you pick the hood up for, if you dont mind?
I purchased the hood for a little less than what the guy is selling them for now, which is $800...I think even $800 is a great price considering what other people are charging for this hood.

· Flush 19" wheel club
1,113 Posts
I've got the Modellista TS1 hood but have seen the Seibon hood in person which looks great and is wellmade. The untrained eye will probably not tell them apart.

However there are differences. Besides that Siebon uses hoodlatches, has a single turbo vent and comes with rainguards, note that the MD TS1 hood is molded off the real Top Secret hood so the dimensions and placements of all the vents are pretty much identical to the original Top Secret design. Vent clearance might be a concern for those who have strut braces, I have a TRD strut brace on my car that fits without any problems on my MD TS1. Other differences include smaller weave on the MD TS1 and as mentioned it's lighter and is made out of all carbon - top and bottom.

· Lost in Dawg-land
810 Posts
While they do use the stock latch I still wouldn't trust it. Not on supras but on other cars I have heard of the hoods coming up. Why risk it with an expensive hood and a nice car?

1,326 Posts
::swedemix:: said:
I've got the Modellista TS1 hood but have seen the Seibon hood in person which looks great and is wellmade. The untrained eye will probably not tell them apart.

However there are differences. Besides that Siebon uses hoodlatches, has a single turbo vent and comes with rainguards, note that the MD TS1 hood is molded off the real Top Secret hood so the dimensions and placements of all the vents are pretty much identical to the original Top Secret design. Vent clearance might be a concern for those who have strut braces, I have a TRD strut brace on my car that fits without any problems on my MD TS1. Other differences include smaller weave on the MD TS1 and as mentioned it's lighter and is made out of all carbon - top and bottom.
Very well put Matt. Believe it or not, I was actually the one who got the ball rolling on the Seibon TS Style hood =X. Deadline after deadline were broken by them though, most of us took our deposits back, and eventually Modellista came out with an arguably better replica.

I guess the best way to differentiate the two would be that the Seibon is a "Top Secret-style hood" while the Modellista is a "Top Secret Replica".

· Registered
87 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·

Thanks, that's exactly what I was looking for. :bigthumb:

· Flush 19" wheel club
1,113 Posts
I too was one of the people who were in that first group trying to get the Seibon TS style hood made last spring.

I forgot to mention that for anyone who also care about weight issues, note that the factory hood weighs around ~28lbs while the the MD TS1 hood weighs ~14lbs. I also heard that another even lighter ~8lbs(or less) dry carbon version of the MD TS1 hood is coming, those interested might want to confirm with Modellista on that one though.

As for the comparisons of the things I've listed vs a Seibon hood, perhaps those owners can give some of their input of what they know. Choosing one over the other all depends on what specifically you're looking for in a hood.

· What You Know About That
2,520 Posts
::swedemix:: said:
I too was one of the people who were in that first group trying to get the Seibon TS style hood made last spring.

I forgot to mention that for anyone who also care about weight issues, note that the factory hood weighs around ~28lbs while the the MD TS1 hood weighs ~14lbs. I also heard that another even lighter ~8lbs(or less) dry carbon version of the MD TS1 hood is coming, those interested might want to confirm with Modellista on that one though.

As for the comparisons of the things I've listed vs a Seibon hood, perhaps those owners can give some of their input of what they know. Choosing one over the other all depends on what specifically you're looking for in a hood.
Well swedemix...you've pretty much laid out all the differences. The only other thing I can think of that hasn't been mentioned is the weave. MD uses a 1x1 weave whereas the Seibon uses a 2x2.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.