Supra Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am thinking about ordering the Seibon CF TRD style hood, but I have never had to care for external CF before so I had a few questions:

1) Do these need hood pins?

2) I keep hearing people talk about hood dampers for CF hoods. Explain?

3) I live in a townhouse so the Supra is not garaged... will exposure to the elements destroy the hood? I have heard anecdotal stuff regarding CF not dealing well with direct sunlight in the summer.

Thanks for any tips/advice!

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
No-one?

·
Banned
224 Posts
after time maybe i had a cf hood on my accord and after a year and a half it started to fade

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks...

Anyone else have tips? It seems every other user posts a pic of their ride with a CF hood nowadays... no-one has any input?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Well I can answer partially...

You do not need hood pins once it latches correctly.

I don't know if it will fade or look old sitting in the sun but they hood has huge vents you can't leave it outside due to rain, snow, etc...

·
grdtuning
747 Posts
send it to a body shop for them to re-clear it, they fade after awhile. i had a cf lip kit and after awhile it got faded and i took it to a body shop re-cleared it and it looked better then new.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys...

I am not all that worried about the vents. The hood comes with inserts to put in when it rains.

·
EchoDeDupra
4,122 Posts
1. I would recommend hood pins. It took me four replacement windshields to learn that.
2. Never heard of that?
3. I live in an apartment, and I park outside?

·
Bad RSP supra
1,089 Posts
I would do hood pins if i were you.
never heard of that.
and After awhile it will fade some but it takes a long time.

·
Boost Junkie
12,638 Posts
I think the dampeners he is speaking of are like the rear hatch shocks on the Supra.

I'd do pins. I plan on doing the aerocatch ones on my car soon, just for safety's sake.

Steve

·
Turbos and Tattoos FTW
1,981 Posts
Those that have hood pins installed can you take some close up pictures of them installed..

·
The Boost Machine
490 Posts
I am thinking about ordering the Seibon CF TRD style hood, but I have never had to care for external CF before so I had a few questions:

1) Do these need hood pins?

3) I live in a townhouse so the Supra is not garaged... will exposure to the elements destroy the hood? I have heard anecdotal stuff regarding CF not dealing well with direct sunlight in the summer.

Thanks for any tips/advice!
1) Do these need hood pins? It's definately safer! Aerocatch makes some nice ones. Here's a thread about them. (Although, I personally don't use them.)
http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=431995

As far as I know only Top secret makes them for our cars. Others might say they are universal. But some are rated heavier than others. To stiff may crack lighter weight hoods.
Buy a car cover if it's really an issue.
But make sure the hood has a good clearcoat for UV protection. Most do.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts