Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 160 Posts

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have the opportunity to purchase a new Seibon TS style hood, which is my absolute favorite style. Since I was previously the owner of what was supposed to be a high quality fiberglass vented hood (genuine Veilside) and was hugely disappointed with the fender gaps, I just want to get a final confirmation that the Seibon really does fit well overall.

I don't expect exact OEM Toyota levels of fitment, but I do expect it to be pretty damn good, and it seems to be from all photos I've seen. However, I should also add that most of the close up pictures I've seen are of the Seibon OEM style hood, not the Seibon TS style hood. May I assume that they do indeed fit the same way? The fender gaps looks very reasonable on the OEM style Seibon hood, so it looked promising.

Good looking photo of an OEM style one is on this thread: http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=354683&highlight=seibon

A few more questions for confirmation sake:

1. No more factory rain guards, correct?
2. TRD strut tower bar will now fit due to lack of rain guards?
3. Factory style latches included?
4. Windshield washer squirter holes are standard?
5. Weighs under 20 pounds?

This has always been my favorite style of hood...so assuming it can pass all the other questions I have, I'd definitely like to move forward and pick it up. Thanks to anyone who can answer my questions, and/or possibly provide me with some actual photos of the fender/bumper gaps and overall fitment feedback. :)

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
the fit is pretty damn good. i had a trd replica hood and it was horrible. the sebion ts hood is really nice.

No more factory rain guards, correct? correct
2. TRD strut tower bar will now fit due to lack of rain guards? not sure
3. Factory style latches included? works with factory latche
4. Windshield washer squirter holes are standard? yes but i had to modify the hole to make it fit though
5. Weighs under 20 pounds? i believe. but im not positive.

some pics of mine...

G

·
1. No more factory rain guards, correct? the one my friend has came with rain gaurds but they are pretty much useless anyways.
2. TRD strut tower bar will now fit due to lack of rain guards? the trd struck tower will not fit
3. Factory style latches included? yes it used the factory style latching
4. Windshield washer squirter holes are standard? yes they are standard
5. Weighs under 20 pounds? yes it wieghs under 20 lbs

modelista is a little bit lighter, uses hood pins, does not come with rain gaurds, trd strut tower bar fits, and does not have windshield washers holes.

my opinion the siebon fits a little better and doesnt flop around at high speeds. the modelista bobs up and down if your going more than 80 mph.

G

·
there new hood design was supposed to be stronger so it wouldnt bob at high speed and feature a factory latch design and lighter weight. 8lbs if i recall correctly.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks...please limit comments and feedback on this thread to the Seibon though, as I don't want to ruffle feathers on the Modellista front (Curtis is a friend of mine). I want the absolute best fitting aftermarket hood possible, and it seems to me that Seibon is the one I should focus on. I know I have to give up some things (weight, construction) to get that fitment.

Thanks for the feedback and pictures so far. The only downside so far is that it sounds like the TRD strut tower bar is a no-go with the Seibon hood.

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Knowing that, could a bodyshop modify the underside of the hood enough so that I might be able to use the TRD strut tower bar? Any ideas? :)

Steve T.

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
Steve - you are too damn picky to even think of an aftermarket hood other than a TRD - just my honest opinion.

·
Registered
757 Posts
I got mine fitted yesterday... same hood - Seibon TS. I am not extremely happy with the results. The passenger side gap is about 1.5X that of the drivers side. The drivers side gap is pretty much perfect. Also, the hood seems to be off a little in the front. It's about 1/4" too short, and about 1/8" closer to the drivers side head light than the passengers side headlight. With the stock hood my car was perfectly gapped all around... fenders, headlights, front, back, etc... so it's definitely the new hood that is off.

Overall I think the quality of the hood is great, but the fitment is not as good as I had hoped.

I guess like everything else in the aftermarket, even with great manufacturers there is always a chance that your new part will not fit as good as the factory one.

For reference, I bought my hood brand new from MVP 2 weeks ago. I had the help of a very good and trusted body guy with the fitting of the hood.

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
I don't care who makes the hood, if its not metal plan on running hood pins. As a fellow hardtop owner Steve, it would break my heart if I heard your hood flew up and screwed up your roof/windshield...

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
One time, I did 150 mph (as a passenger...on a test track) in my black Supra with the Veilside fiberglass hood and no hood pins to hold it. All I could do was watch the hood flap and think "how could this hood stay closed while secured by only stock hood latches?". ;)

The above is a true story! You can be sure I'll be doing some testing with the Seibon hood for overall fitment and "hood flap". :)

Steve T.

·
Administrator
17,316 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Thanks bud...I just purchased my own Seibon hood after talking to some others who have seen it in person as well. You should take some time to try and adjust yours a bit better from what I'm hearing (obviously not much you can do about length though). I'd still like to see those photos for reference, and will post up my own after getting it installed too. :)

Steve T.

1 - 20 of 160 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.