Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Started the car up, ran great for about 1 min and then heard a little bang and then my RPM went to 0. I then proceeded to open the hood, saw that my exhaust cam gear was just kinda hanging there. Pulled off my cam gear cover and YUP I seized my exhaust cam. I pulled the cam gear out, and a big chunk of my cam came out with it, WTF!!!!!! When I put the car back together I put a shit load of preassembly lube all over the cams. What could cause this to happen? My intake cam had no problem with getting oil, so why does my exhaust cam get none? Need some help. Already bought a new head, but before I put it together I want to know what happened.

·
Banned
216 Posts
are we talking a 2jzge motor? if so what mods and what was just done to it? you said something about assy lube was applied which to me means something was just done to it.

more info plz.

·
Hardtopper
13,044 Posts
Someone did not pay attention to torque specs more than likely......

·
Over Medicated
2,718 Posts
Were the cam caps original to this head?
My question also. If you used cam caps from a different head then this is your problem. The cam jounals are line bored with the cam caps on and no cams in. This is to assure that they are round all the way through. Thus you can't swap caps from one head to another without reboring the cam line.
Too if you installed any of the caps in the wrong order or didn't follow the torque specs :nono: .

·
feeding your habit
4,015 Posts
did you get anything into the lube hole in the bearing? If you did, then that would have blocked the oil passage and prevented good lubrication.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yes, I torqued everything down to spec. Yes, the caps are from the same head. Yes, I numbered and labeled each cap and put them back were they came from. Dont know if I put any lube in bearing. My intake cam has no scaring and had plenty of oil.

·
Banned
216 Posts
when you had the cam out, did you by chance drop it? or possibly did something sit on the cam sagging the center just a bit causing a bit of sag? just a thought.
but sorry to hear about that.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Cam

I work at a Toyota dealership (master tech) and have seen cams seize by only having one cam cap on backwards. Check into this and let us know.

·
wasting my life on SF
1,808 Posts
wow, i would have never guessed this kind of thing could happen for just impropper cap placement... that sucks!

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Took a look at all of the cam caps on the exhaust side and YUP one of them (2nd to last) was on backwards. Just one cap is going to cost me a good 700 to 800 bucks. So im also looking for a 2mm headgasket now. If anyone has one pm me.

·
Registered
722 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts