Supra Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Brief Car Background:
I got the car in 2006.. shortly after had a collision with a really old steel frame truck. $7,500 of damage (mainly both airbags) But in early 2007 it messed up and bounced around a few mechanic shops here. They didn't know how to work on a Supra, if they even knew what it was. The Toyota Dealership didn't know what to do, it sat in there possession for a month with no ideas (they just ripped the glove box out and left it) They don't have the machine to diagnose it.

Engine Misfire Portion:
But here are the current symptoms as of last week.
Current symptoms are:
- Misfire
- White smoke upon start up (possibly because it hasn't ran right in God knows how long.
- Black smoke upon backfire.
- Will not rev past 4,100RPM (acts like it has a rev limiter)
- Won't hold idle until it's a little warmed up (idles low, sounds like it's cammed)
- Seems to be cutting out while revving it and backfires when doing so (too much or too less fuel)
- Exhaust gets hot (it only got red hot once)
- Seems hesitant, acceleration still sucks.. gotta floor it to get it to move some.. and will die when you let off gas in D, but not when it's in L, 2 or R.
- Sometimes when i stop revving the engine, it doesn't catch idle and dies.

Self-Diagnostic portion:
I connected the E1 and the TE1 via bobby pin.. turned the ignition over two clicks and got a solid CEL and MIL, not flashing. I hear it's supposed to either blink constantly or in a pattern to read the code.. The car starts...and does not through a MIL, but the CEL is on constantly.

·
Toyota Master Tech
1,449 Posts
No one is going to help me fix my car?
not sure what crack head dealer you brought it to but they should have a mdt on hand to diag. It don't matter if it's a supra or tercel it's just a car. If not then they need to open a tas case or have a fts come down from toyota and fix it. As for the problems hard to diag over the internet but sounds like an ignition problem. Did these problems start after the accident or do you not know.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
They started after the accident yes. I was thinking it was ignition related, ignition timing maybe?

·
King Ding-a-ling!
3,195 Posts
You should probably start by verifying the grounding points, checking for bad connectors, and looking for pinched / damaged wires.
I have had missfire problems that were once caused by a loose connector, and once caused by a bad ground point.

People often have this misconception that you can hook the car up to a diagnostic machine and it will tell you exactly what is wrong but sometimes you have to go back to the basics to get that far.

It sounds like you need some help from good Supra owning acquaintances or to take your car to a reputable Supra capable speed shop in DFW.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts