Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So... soon it will be time for me to upgrade my toyo auto tranny to something that can hold power (this is within the next year or two) and i need to know what the options are

there is the obvious TH400
there is the not so obvious TH350
then there are g-forces (which i havent even seen posted up here)
finally there are jerico's (which i didnt know existed till today)

Now... does anyone run these sequential clutchless manual tranmissions (like the gforce or jerico) on a supra?

it seems the transmissions arent that expensive... how much does it cost to get one to fit?

can it be driven on the street?

discuss

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
and no you can't run a clutchless on the street. Well I suppose you could but it would be expensive and pointless. Negating the the purpose of going clutchless. And there is also the fact you have to hold in into gear.

·
Banned
2,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
what do you mean hold it in gear.... im not very educated on sequential transmissions (well i know how they operate internally, but i dont know how to actually use one)

also what is the reason for it being pointless and expensive?

would it hold 800 crank hp?
how is it with heat?

i was specifically looking at the jerico clutchless road racing 5 speed (that holds upto 1000hp)... seems like a very good option vs a th400... faster shifts, and more gear ratios for quicker acceleration, in the end actually near the same price

·
Registered
6,785 Posts
That or you could buy my freshly rebuilt 6 speed for $2500, put in the sequential mod from MVP and call it a day. If I was staying 6 speed, I would have definatly invested in one of those. You can go sequential(upshit only) and go back to normal shifting when you want

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
A clutchless transmission is sole purpose is to use a slipper clutch. This allows a certain amount of power to be applied by shimming of the pressure plate. You would need a clutch assisted trans if you wanted to drive it. Most of these trans can be driven on the street. You simply drive it like normal, however, not sure if this applies to all but most of these type trans are straight cut geared. My Gforce holds 1250 no problem.

The clutchless tranny's need held into the gear that you are using. i.e. keeping your hand on the shifter at all times. I have no idea how heat is with these units and they definately are a bit more noisy.

If your looking for a good supplied call Gforce.

www.gforcetransmissions.com

Talk to Mike, Bubba or Smitty. These are they people you will deal w/ as you go through the process. If you need any help I can also advise you along the way.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Wow, I didn't know you had to hold a gforce in gear...will it just slip out if you let go? Even under acceleration the gear would pop out? How could a straight cut gear, when engauged, just let go? I'd love to hear more pratical experience on this type of tranny from someone who owns one (that's you Defcon ;)) when you have time.

What was the overall cost?
Ease of fitment?
Rebuild schedule?
Smoothness/streetability when it comes to driving around?
What is the shimming of the pressure plate idea here?
Noise is expected w/straight cut gears (just put your tranny in reverse and listen to the whine, that's the noise of a straight cut over a dog cut.) However, any other issues?
Total RWHP capabilities (both rated from mfg and person exp?)

Thanks!
Adam

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
I can't speak for practical experience. I still haven't got my motor in.

I was speaking of a clutchless setup. Not Clutch Assisted. From the headache its given me, I doubt i'd recommend it( Not the manufacturers) It does not fit right in due to the linkages and you reall have to beat the hell out of your trans tunnel. I'm to the point know where I might do some cutting. You'll also need a custom hub for the clutch which means your preety much stuck with a tilton or quartermaster.

I will not be releasing pictures of my car if anyone wants to see how it fits. I will however take pictures of the trans or shifters if anyone wants to see how the stuff works.

Don

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
Post back with an update if you would when the tranny is in and running. You have perked my interest :)

Adam

·
Registered
200 Posts
could you post a pic of the bell/adapter i have a 2jz in my rx7 with a gforce..i had mike make me an adapter for a stock 2jz auto bell. Just curious to see what you have.
Greg

·
Registered
558 Posts
Don't forget Liberty and Lenco too...

Probably looking at prices approaching 10 grand time you add the transmission, bellhousing+adapter, clutch and shifter and driveshaft...You can easily spend several thousand just on a clutch for these...and certain SFI bellhousings for them can approach several thousand too...ouch...

Just my 02 which isn't worth much these days...

·
Registered
1,523 Posts
What about the one offered by PHR? They offer a gear set that you drop into your getrag housing. You still keep the clutch for taking off in first gear and do sequential shifting. I think that one there is what would match you best. Check it out on their site.

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
by sequential are you talking about TRUE straight cut, barrel engagment sequential tranny from the likes of

Xtrac
Quaife

or air shifted

Lenco
Jerico

both will be noisy as hell on the street especially with straigh cut gears. The sequential is of concern because when decel you must move through the gears. So say you are in 6. You MUST downshift to 5, then when rpm are low enough, 4, 3 2 1 and then neutral. ;) One wrong shift and you will grenade the motor.

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

·
Registered
6,475 Posts
chidoks said:
what is the advantage of a sequential tranny over a regular 6 speed?

true sequential tranny shift as fast as an auto.

Some can handle shifting at WOT without letting up.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts