Supra Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, I am in desperate need of help. I have jus completed a rebuild. Brand new oil pump. Started the car for the first time and the oil pressure is EXTREMELY high, I'm talkin pegged out the gauge, over 120 PSI. So I had the manufacturer send me a brand new pump, figuring it was the pump that was jacked. So new pump shows up, I install it, SAME PROBLEM. What the hell is going on?? A couple things:

1) its not the gauge, oil is leakin out of the cam seals
2) its not the cam seals, brand new head
3) not the pump, tried 2 already
4) no clog, I looked everywhere

SO WHAT THE FUCK IS THE PROBLEM>>????

·
Señor Member
4,741 Posts
Does the gauge go back down when you turn off the car? If the gauge gets peged at 120 then it will stay there. This happened on Kruso's car after his rebuild. He had to take the gauge out and manually reset the gauge back to 0.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The gauge does go back to 0 when the car is shut off.

I checked all the pressure relief valves, functioning properly. I was thinkin about cutting the spring, what yall think about doin that?? Anyone done it before??

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
bigdough666 said:
The gauge does go back to 0 when the car is shut off.

I checked all the pressure relief valves, functioning properly. I was thinkin about cutting the spring, what yall think about doin that?? Anyone done it before??

Don't cut the relief spring. K, IIRC, the path of the oil is through the oil filter first, correct? Then through the block, and then it pours back down, correct? Now, we know it is passing your oil filter as it is blowing out cam seals. What is your oil level like? Did you clean everything thoroughly? What about the oil return line from the valve cover to the block? How does that look?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Everything is clean. All the lines, the oil cooler. Even replaced the oil filter. Put in a new spring in the relief valve by the filter, replaced the oil pump with ANOTHER new one, same shit. The oil level is fine, marking right where it should be.

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
Bearing clearances too tight? The only way to get pressure is to restrict flow so you have a major obstruction somewhere, maybe in the block casting. :dunno:

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dammit, looks like I'm gonna have to pull it and so some surgery. Any other ideas??

·
the clever guy
782 Posts
....or maybe rod bearing oil holes weren't lined up with the holes in the bearings themselves. Take some pics if you can and if you pull it back apart.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
did you remove the pressure guage at all. If you remobed the needle maybe you didnt set it properly,

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
What brand is the oil pump?

The relief valve in the pump should bypass the oil at maximum pressure of about 70 PSI. Nothing in the assembly of the engine should change that.

Apart from the leaking oil seals, how can you be sure the pressure reading on the gauge is accurate? I would try a mechanical gauge to double check.

·
Registered
3,366 Posts
the sending unit might have gone faulty somehow.

install a new sending unit, and if still does the same then do likw shawndude said attach a mechanical pressure reader gauge at the sending unit to see what you get, if you get a normal reading then u know is the sending unit, if u still get something high then you know its got to be the pump

·
25psi = 14" brakes :)
2,306 Posts
On this subject, are all the 7M rods drilled to spray oil on the undersides of the pistons? (I know there are sprayers on the block, but are the rods supposed to have holes drilled in them through the shoulder of the rod?)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts