Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pretty much all of my panels on my dash have scratches or chips. They are really expensive from toyota and everyone that is selling theirs is either in the same or worst condition. I was wondering if anyone could paint them to make them look just like stock color? Let me know if anyone has any ideas. Thanks

·
Unstable
370 Posts
Here's what I've been doing. You're going to need to get rid of the rubber coating on the pre 97 panels. I've had success with a plastic paint stripping tool, steel wool, and acetone. Neither of these will chip the plastic underneath. Be sure to get rid of ALL the rubber coating on the panels, or you will have some lovely spots when you paint. (I normally strip the rubber clean with the scraper or steel wool, then smooth with acetone for the rest.)

-Strip the panels
-Primer (I normally do about 2 coats)
-Sand (as many times as needed, sometimes more primer helps)
-Paint
-Clearcoat

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
All you need to do is get all the stuff off of the plastic....I read in these threads that Kerosene (sp?) works pretty good. I would not try laquer thinner since its possible to swell the plastic after some time.

Once you have bare plastic, simply scuff them clean with Comet until they are really dull looking. Let drip dry (hot sunshine is good too) and simply use a steady or experienced hand to respray with a nice satin spray paint.
Shoot thin/damp overlapping coats with a decent brand until covered uniformly. Spray only as many coats is needed ----> 10 coats is not the goal :) Stay around 2-3. I suggest getting a good can from a paint store...there are more spray cans available than what you'll find at the local Joe hardware. Look for a brand with a soft-touch spray button too <---- helps with pretty, spit-free overlapping.

sean

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would either of you guys suggest doing this for me? I really have no experiance on painting or anything. Also could you get it close to the stock color and look by repainting?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
As you might have noticed from certain other threads, I take brakes and paint them but I've never stripped any of this plastic stuff yet. I want to so I can learn first hand the best way, but haven't had the time (and my parts look fine).
I would normally say send them over to me and I can hook you up but I'd rather do that after testing the stripping methods first with my friend's spare pieces.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Really? I might have to pm curt but when i was looking on horsepowerfreaks.com i seen the 6 spd. panel alone was $100. The wholesale price cant be that much cheaper.
Blkturo- I read all your threads on calipers and plan on getting mine done by you when my rims come around. Let me know if you are going to do this or you want to try this out on my pieces i have faith in you:D

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
spooler21 said:
Really? I might have to pm curt but when i was looking on horsepowerfreaks.com i seen the 6 spd. panel alone was $100. The wholesale price cant be that much cheaper.

Blkturo- I read all your threads on calipers and plan on getting mine done by you when my rims come around. Let me know if you are going to do this or you want to try this out on my pieces i have faith in you:D
On the prices....dont get all excited yet....those fuckers ARE expensive as you stated. My friend bought that same center piece for about that much ("sidwin" from in here).

On the brakes....I have a couple of local guys around here that have spare pieces (one lives an hour away though - the other is Sid) but I just haven't gotten around to dicking with them :( I will have to get a hold of one when I have a lull in my free-time drama :D I need to get some keroscene and give it a try.....it's not really trying to find the parts, its the finding the time (and not forgetting) to give it a try, heh.

sean ( [email protected] )

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
greensoup2 said:
I thought the complete set of 97+ dash panels was less than $100.
I'LL BUY THEM ALL!!! IF YOU CAN TELL ME WHO SELLS THEM FOR UNDER $100,
THE REAL PRICE FOR ALL THE 97-UP DASH PIECES IS CLOSE TO $400 OR AROUND THAT

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So does anyone know how much roughly someone would charge for this service and how close to stock could you get them to look?

·
Registered
3,171 Posts
spooler21 said:
So does anyone know how much roughly someone would charge for this service and how close to stock could you get them to look?

It would be hard to get them to stock looking unless you consider a basic, flat/satin black spray paint looks really stock...in my opinion, it would look pretty decent color-wise.

I'll post one day when I have mastered this repair....I just haven't gotten around to try yet (as i mentioned). I know I can do it, its just a matter of doing it, lol.
Umm, I couldn't tell you what to pay....since I dont know how much time it would take. It would mainly depend on how long it'll take to strip that texture coating off......the rest is a cake-walk with proper prepping and spraying (not any different than painting any other plastics) ;)

·
Registered
177 Posts
hey exvelocity is that your car as your avatar. i saw a similar if not that one for sale on ebay its an integra with m2000 badge on the back

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
exvelocity said:
i'm sure i can do it
I could probaly do it to but i want it real close to the stock color and look. I dont like a glossy interior. I would be interested if you could do this either 93-96 color or 97-98 it doesnt matter to me.

L

·
0 Posts
Or you can just buy a carbon fiber dash. I got one for $200, good quality and is pretty easy to install. Also comes in colors if you dont like carbon fiber.

·
Registered
770 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah i was looking into the dash kits but i dont really like them. For $200 i could buy all my pieces that are messed up. Can anyone do this painting for me? I would like to do the 97-98 color.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts