Supra Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok first off, I'm a dumbass.
I took off the distributor to replace an o-ring and lost the reference to where the position of it was....now I'm doing the oil change and am not sure if I put it back where it was when I took it out...this will jack up my timing right?...how exactly do I fix this....plz help me

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
I could be wrong, but put the engine at top dead center. You can do this a number of ways (if you have a tdc mark on the crank use it, if not...), but the basic way is to remove the #1 spark plug. Turn the engine over until the piston is at the top of it's stroke. Then make sure the rotor on the distributor is pointing torward the #1 spark plug. If not, remove the distributor so you can manually move the rotor to #1. Then put the distributor back in and start the car.

When I did this on my slant six Valiant before I got my Supra I was able to wiggle the distributor back and forth to get the timing smooth.

Someone varify this.

--Justin

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks for the help supra sonic. I was able to find some info on the TDC and took off the cam gear cover to see where I was and cranked the engine till it was close (with the dist. unplugged.) Then I realized it wouldn't stop at TDC but a notch after so I set the distributor to right after the first cylinder and the car started. whew. Everything seems to be running ok so far.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts