Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday my eye started feeling weird but there was no swelling. I could tell there was some type of irritation. I very rarely touch my eye as I wear eyeglasses. This morning I woke up and my right eye felt funny and now the lower eyelid is swollen.
It hurts to blink or wink hard. I wash my hands very frequently too as I'm a restaurant manager so I don't know how this happened.

I took a pic of it.

Should I see my doctor?

·
Registered
703 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If i can treat it at home easily by getting some free advice from qualified people who are kind and willing enough to help me out I rather not spend the money and waste the time to go see my doctor.

·
Killing Owls 2 stop O Rly
885 Posts
My professional opinion is that you do not in fact have a Stv, although you do in fact have an STD... I am sorry to tell you this but it is the superaidz.

·
Registered
572 Posts
That sort of swelling is cause by 2 things and 2 things only.

1. Acid in the face
2. Aids

I'm a doctor. I know these things.
You forgot:

3) man juice shot straight to the eye.

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
It looks like a hordeolum (stye) though to help us out, you should try to figure out the exact spot that is blocked up and lead to the swelling. Does your tear duct look crusty/blocked?

The mainstay of treatment is really just hot compresses and continued good hygeine. You don't need drainage (read DO NOT POP, and doctor will not lance/aspirate/needle stick it) unless it is bad and ongoing. You also typically do not need antibiotics with this as it is self limited and should go away.

I am not one to hand out diagnoses/treatments over the 'net, but that is the right info on what to do if it were a stye. If I had a stye, I'd prob wait and not head right to the doc, but you may want to go get that checked out anyway for accuracy.

-Adrock

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
Adam pretty much got nailed it. Yes it is a stye. You basically need to use hot compresses 15min on, 15min off, this allows the channels to expand to drain the fluid that is trapped in there. It is 50/50 whether you need topical antibiotics. Some say it helps so say it dosent. I say it doesnt hurt. When it looks really bad, i will prescribe some erythryomycin opthalmic ointment 1/2" strip to the eyelid every 6hrs and it appears to resolve faster. Although if you stick with good hot compresses it should go away. However, if it has not gone away within 4-5days or gets bigger and more painful it may have to be lanced.

·
Registered
829 Posts
Adam pretty much got nailed it. Yes it is a stye. You basically need to use hot compresses 15min on, 15min off, this allows the channels to expand to drain the fluid that is trapped in there. It is 50/50 whether you need topical antibiotics. Some say it helps so say it dosent. I say it doesnt hurt. When it looks really bad, i will prescribe some erythryomycin opthalmic ointment 1/2" strip to the eyelid every 6hrs and it appears to resolve faster. Although if you stick with good hot compresses it should go away. However, if it has not gone away within 4-5days or gets bigger and more painful it may have to be lanced.
This is a bit OT for the thread, but are you a general practitioner? If not, what did you specialize in?

·
Premium Member
4,002 Posts
This is a bit OT for the thread, but are you a general practitioner? If not, what did you specialize in?

What do you mean this is OT for the thread? I am confused!

·
Moderator, Boost Addict
2,597 Posts
Alpha is an internist (internal medicine trained at UF baby!). A GP is traditionally an old school doc who did a 1 year internship and then hung a shingle out to practice, but the term can also mean a generalist/internist too who sees all type of stuff versus a specific specialty/more narrow area.

Adam

·
SUPRAfied
351 Posts
"yeah boy let that tussin get in there real good... run out of tussin? put some water in the bottle, shake it up, more tussin"

1 - 20 of 32 Posts