Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i think my clutch shattered inside my transmission. I was wondering what peoples experiences pulling the tranny and putting a new clutch in.. Also when th clutch shatters, Is it very serious? I've got the W58 transmission.

·
Registered
2,148 Posts
dropping tranny is not too bad, I did the R154 in my driveway with no specialized tools (torque wrench if thats consider specialized). I just jacked the front up, slithered in there, and when I was ready I dropped the tranny onto some 2x4's on blocks.

no idea about your particular situation, I would imagine it wouldnt have damaged anything but the clutch itself, maybe the PP and FW, but those should probably be machined anyway.

·
Registered
321 Posts
Can you be more specific? Shattered...wierd sounds? Vibrations?

On a semi related note my Celica All Trac Turbo's clutch was acting funny. It would refuse to not go into gear, so I was like WTF...changed the master cylinder, and the slave cylinder but to no help. Since the clutch was slipping already I decided to bring the car to the Toyota Dealership to have them replace the clutch and see if anything is out of the ordinary inside the clutch assembly. Low and behold, the retainers for the springs on the clutch disk actually SHEARED right off so all of the springs fell out and caused havok inside the pressure plate keeping the clutch from releasing! All of the rumors, horror stories you guys have heard about the clutch job on these cars....they're all true!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah. All of a sudden a huge bang and pop. Lots of smoke and a Horrible foul smell in the air. So. Is there like a Manual or a Detailed guide on doing this procedure?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When i turn the car on, There's sparking and alot of noise, crackling and Clanking....I had to leave my car in a bad part of town. Think i might be able to drive it home?

·
Your ignorance...
399 Posts
I would agree, do not attempt to drive it, even if you COULD get it to drive, you;d probably fuck something else up. The tranny is easy. Only hard part is monkeying your hands in to unbolt the starter.

Disconnect battery. Jack up car, drain gear lube (15/16th's). Remove shifter (4 bolts, 10 or 12mm). Disconnect the slave cyl (2x12mm). Unplug the reverse lights and speedo cable. Remove driveshaft (2x14mm on carrier bearing, 4x10mm on shaft) Unbolt starter (2x14mm) Remove all housing bolts (6? or 8? x 14mm). Revmove the coverplate (4x14mm). Support the rear and remove the crossmember (4x 12mm? or 14mm?) Lower jack and pull tranny out, only weighs maybe 80-100lbs.

Unbolt clutch in the correct sequence (see tsrm). Do not drop it on yourself. Be sure to replace the pilot bearing (pita to get out), throw out bearing, and check the clutch fork for any bad signs. Check the flywheel and pressure plate for signs of destruction, replace/machine as necessary. If you take off the flywheel, MAKE DAMN SURE to use lock-tite on the bolts, they WILL come loose otherwise. Also, if your clutch kit does not come w/ the allignment tool, get one, it is worth it.

Otherewise, install is pretty much reverse of removal, pretty simple. I can have it done by myself in a few hours, after having done it many times. As I said, hardest part is getting the starter off, and with a bit of practice, even that isnt soooo bad.

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
OK, I didn't drive it, or even start it. I had it towed to my house. Now all i need to do is come up with the money to get the slightly higher performance clutch and whatever else....Anyone know of a good clutch to get under $200? Something that is the best bang for the buck??? something alot better than stock and feels alot better etc etc ....Holds alot better...etc.etc....you Get my point... THANKS

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
a new stock clutch should be fine for the mods that you have. but how about a ACT Street Clutch Kit, its at mvp motorsports for 320

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If i'm going to be keeping the car and running it hard...Then wouldn't a performance clutch be reccommended?

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
a stock clutch should hold the mods you have, unless you are going for more mods. Im not sure how much a stock clutch is, but if its around teh same price as a act street clutch, id go for the act. This clutch is rated to hold 277 foot-pounds of torque. Its pressure increase is 35% over stock. The kit includes disk, pressure plate & throwout bearing.

·
HKS T51R
2,732 Posts
they seem pretty good, i dont think it includes the presure plate or throwout bearing though, a new pp is 67.20, and it doenst say wheter its for a turbo or non turbo, so if you decide to buy maybe check to make sure it is for an n/a supra

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
What other parts do i need to replace while putting the new clutch in? My center bearing on driveshaft is out. Where could i find one? And how much are they usually?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I found a better one. Centerforce Stage I. 30% more holding capacity. for $199. Seems good to me.

·
way over budget
664 Posts
when i replaced mine i just got a 100$ no name clutch off ebay and believe it or not it held up just fine and i drive the hell out of my car. then when i did my turbo swap the disc that was in the r154 was fried so put the one i had been using in there and it held up in there too. I doubt it will last as long as a name brand clutch would, but for 100 bucks i think it's a pretty good deal.

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I need to find a Center bearing (Carrier Bearing) where can i find one? And how much are they usually?

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I called jeff at 1-800-327-2087 and with the Supra Discount it's $165 and Retail it's $227. Where can i find one for like $20?

1 - 20 of 20 Posts