Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,136 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was wondering if its possible to shave the inside of the wheel hub to adjust the offset. Ive found a set of wheels that i love but the offset is too low, around 30's and i would like to shave around 3-5mm off of it. is it possible, and if so, who can do it? thanks

·
Launching in 3...2...1...
480 Posts
I have heard about people doing this. ACn't remember what kind of wheels or how much he shaved. But I do know it's possible.

·
0 Posts
They would know how but i dought they would do it. Most modern wheels are designed so that all parts of the wheel take a portion of the load. By machining some off you are comprimising the wheels strength.

·
Registered
44 Posts
This is something that tuners over here do to Imprezas, but only for racing purposes when wheels can be changed each race etc etc. My brother tried it on his car, a 4x4 single turbo, and after about 1000 miles one of the wheels fell off after the nuts pulled through the weakened alloy centres. All 3 other wheels were starting to pull through as well, and could of fallen off at any point.

This happened on a lower powered car, so just imagine what it could do on a soop. I would NEVER consider this, after what happened to my brother.

Ben..

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Most of the high end manufacturers do this to offer different offsets and can tell you the amount that can be removed safely. All of these wheels are forged. I wouldn't do this unless the manufacturer recommended the min. thickness for the pad (hub area of the wheel).

Later, Steve

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
One more thing. You may end up with the spokes of the wheel hitting the caliper if you remove too much thickness.

Later, Steve

1 - 8 of 8 Posts