Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 99 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
This build has been over the course of 4 years of hard work and lots of money spent. it was posted on SM just because i didnt know of SF at the time, so ill be posting it here now too!

http://www.supramania.com/forums/showthread.php?168421-7mgte-Hx35-Build

lets start off at the beginning, where it all started.

well, ill start off with when i bought this car, i didnt know too much about it and what i was getting into but has been a great experience for me.

i started off looking for a cheap car with good gas mileage on craigslist when i stumbled upon a car i couldn't go without.
it looked like a nice 2door sports car that had some motor to back it up.

two days later, in april this year, i went to Cheney to pick up this awesome car.
a few things i had to fix before i drove it were the brakes, which were locked and filled with petroleum (said the guy i bought it from), and a clutch. i threw in an Aisin HD r154 clutch.

i drove the car to work maybe 3 times when i came home one day getting on it a little. tons of white smoke everywhere and had no power. there goes the HG :icon_evil

so let the building begin, thanks to my dad and CajunKenny for helping me along the way
i now have the motor rebuilt and installed in the car, but ill post some pictures on the way it got there.

between my toyota crawler and supra, they both keep me really busy

heres how i got the car from a kid in Cheney

pulling the motor/tearing it down

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
once the motor was disassembled i sent it off the the machine shop to get some work done.

cylinders honed, 3angle valve job, block/timing cover decked, head resurfaced, crank polished and everything cleaned. looks nice and fresh..
while it was there i had them throw in small block v8 chevy double valve springs (just the inner spring i think it was)

began painting everything

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
started putting on the manifolds and turbo along with some ARP head bolts

motor started going in right before we moved into town so i wasnt able to work on it for a couple weeks

heres a few pictures of the motor all put back together

broke the motor in and ran like a top with the stock fuel system and turbo

Recently installed a wally 255 fuel pump and drilled out the j tube.
Lexus AFM and RC 550cc injectors are installed. having a fuel pressure issue but will be on the road in no time.

next on the list is a JT62 turbo, have Maft pro just need to install it, and put the 89+ tail lights on. for some reason the PO had pre 89 tails and mirrors on?

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

now that we're all up to date, ill be sure to keep this build updated!

·
Premium Member
5,375 Posts
Nice, is the HX52 a 65mm intake wheel, 70mm exhaust wheel and #16 exhaust housing?

I ran one in my 2JZ, really fun turbo. Kicks in around 3800rpm. Did 830hp at 32psi.

Great bang for the buck turbo.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
Very nice. How difficult was it to pull the tails apart?
It wasn't too bad, the real headache was dremmeling a slot in all 14 of the little "screws" in the back of the tail light. Other than that, i put the tail lights in the sink and filled it with boring water. The lenses then easily separated from the housing.

I was very surprised with how much crap and muddy debris was inside the lights. Painting the inside housings black also gave them a overall darker appearance like the jdm tails without being tinted.

Nice, is the HX52 a 65mm intake wheel, 70mm exhaust wheel and #16 exhaust housing?

I ran one in my 2JZ, really fun turbo. Kicks in around 3800rpm. Did 830hp at 32psi.

Great bang for the buck turbo.
Thanks!
Wow, that spools a lot quicker than I thought.

For now since I'm still running stock internals, I'm shooting for minimum 500whp

So i did a little research before I bought this turbo and contacted a guy from Tims Turbos, apparently they deal with a lot of Holset turbos. When an hx35 is upgraded with a bigger compressor wheel, the turbine drive pressure is just going to be to high and eat up the thrust bearings. especially with a 62mm wheel. so instead up upgrading to a hx40 turbine shaft like they recommended, having it rebuilt, and having the exhaust housing machined to accept it i went with something different. ill be in this turbo for slightly less than what it would have cost to have my hx35 beefed up.

this turbo is about the same specs as a Borg warner S366 turbo. its an OEM Rebuilt Holset turbo i just couldnt pass up. i believe its the HX52 Pro since it has the 67mm billet wheel instead of the 71mm IIRC
S366 - Compressor wheel (cast) 66mm, turbine 73mm - EX. housing - .91A/R
Hx52 (PRO?) - Compressor wheel (Billet) 67mm, turbine 70mm - EX. housing 16CM
I also found a hx52 for parts that has an 11CM housing. supposedly its the "Holy Grail" Hx52 but i have no idea.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Looks good Scot, Interested to see what you put down with the new snail.

I need to do the same and post my build from SM up on here, but then I would actually have to get my act together and get some work done for updates.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Looks good Scot, Interested to see what you put down with the new snail.

I need to do the same and post my build from SM up on here, but then I would actually have to get my act together and get some work done for updates.
thanks man, i appreciate it.
to really transfer everything from each post and every picture would honestly take awhile..
i mean, i have almost 700 pictures on my photobucket! better late than never i guess.

it seems like there are less and less members active every day on the other site unfortunately.
from what ive seen online and on youtube, there was a mk3 with a 1.5JZ making 475whp on 14.5 psi. 409hp on 10psi IIRC

that was with the 16cm housing at from what i could see, it looked like it was full spool around 4900~. if i decide to, i could always run the 11cm housing if i needed faster spool

·
Registered
35 Posts
AHMAZING TIMING!!!!

i am currently looking to buy a bigger turbo for my 2j swapped mk3.

i am so glad i stumbled upon this.

nice build!

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Today i bought a buffer wheel and polishing compound for my drill. For not really have used the stuff before on my drill, i dont think it turned out too bad!

although it was way too sunny outside to get any good pictures so until then, here are the ones that turned out the best.

update on the HX52. Should be delivered April 18th! Can't wait to put it in! ohnoes:

·
Question to suit.
3,562 Posts
Looks good!

I did notice something and wanted to ask if you are using the Toyota exhaust manifold gasket, or another brand?

Curious, as in the earlier pictures it looks like another brand. That brand is like a wafer, and caused leaks on my 7M. Not sure about these days if they are made better or not....

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Looks good!

I did notice something and wanted to ask if you are using the Toyota exhaust manifold gasket, or another brand?

Curious, as in the earlier pictures it looks like another brand. That brand is like a wafer, and caused leaks on my 7M. Not sure about these days if they are made better or not....
thanks man
its not an oem toyota gasket but it is a Felpro which ive had pretty good luck with. its the 2 layer wafer type with crush washers on every port and stud location.
what ill do is put a layer of High Temp RTV, the copper stuff, and tighten down the manifold.

after a few heat cycles i'll go back through and retighten the manifold nuts.
so far i havent had one that leaks. although i put RTV on just about every single gasket so far

·
Registered
286 Posts
Sweet build. It looks done right. I have an HX52 in my shed I was going to use initially for the build but then I picked up a BWs366. I didn't want to run the hx52 cause I thought it was overkill for my goals plus lag, turbos out I feel the same about the S366 lol. Interested to see a dyno sheet or vid of how it runs once you get it dialed in.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Sweet build. It looks done right. I have an HX52 in my shed I was going to use initially for the build but then I picked up a BWs366. I didn't want to run the hx52 cause I thought it was overkill for my goals plus lag, turbos out I feel the same about the S366 lol. Interested to see a dyno sheet or vid of how it runs once you get it dialed in.
thank you, its come along way thats for sure!

i actually originally purchased a Bws366 but then decided to sell it. i thought that the s366 had a billet compressor wheel and 360* thrust bearings but i later found out it has a cast wheel and 270* thrust bearings.

after awhile of searching i came across this what looked like a monster of a turbo. its actually pretty similar to an s366 as far as the wheel sizes go.
it does however from what ive researched, have a billet wheel, 360* thrust, beefy bearings, and a double rear gap ring set instead of the standard single.

we'll see how it goes, i cant wait to start boosting with it

·
boost'en down 101
1,276 Posts
looking forward to see how that hx52 performs! you know how many lbs/min it flows? that'll give you a good idea how much power it will make.

1 - 20 of 99 Posts