Supra Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Its about time for another oil change and i do not know which oil to go with. I usually go with mobil 1 15w-50 but now everywhere i go only has 5w-50, what difference will going with the 5w-50 make? Is it too thin. I have also read that rotella 15w-50 is good and cheap which sounds good to me but i have also read that it is not good. Any input on the subject would be awesome. Thanks guys.

·
1.5JZ Turbo Supra
3,378 Posts
Thermactor said:
If you want a diesel HDEO then go for the Chevron Delo 400 instead of the Rotella T. It's the finest dino oil ever made!

I believe he answered your question there???? He was referring another brand due to it being better then the other.

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
You dont need a 50w oil. Stick with mobil 1 5w-30

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BoostnLoose said:
im running quaker 15-40 and she loves it!
is that synthetic? and wouldnt the mobil 1 5w-50 be better than 15w-50 just because it is thinner on startup? Would it have any disadvantages?

·
Oldie but a Goodie
1,465 Posts
Well you need to rebuild your turbo then lol. If anything, the thicker oil may cause leaks initially because of the increased pressure in certain places. Otherwise, it's just a bandaid.

Things i've been reading up on are describing the current view on oil (thicker is better for higher hp/performance applications) is not only wrong but it actually hinders performance. The lighter weight oil you use the better, for lubricating components, less friction (hence the low viscosity) and so on and so forth.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ya i agree that i need to rebuild my turbo but i also need to change my oil first. I think that thicker oil is better for higher temperatures which usually comes with higher horsepower. And most all of our engines (not rebuilds) are worn and the thicker oil helps them out. Wrong? Right? and someone please answer my previous questions about the 5w-50 vs. the 15w-50. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've seen the internals of 900,000mi diesel engines that run Rotella and they were clean and the bearings were still within spec. It's a great oil for diesels but I run synthetics in my supra and Rotella T in my cummins.

Mike

·
I heart 80's Toyota's
631 Posts
mike91t said:
I've seen the internals of 900,000mi diesel engines that run Rotella and they were clean and the bearings were still within spec. It's a great oil for diesels but I run synthetics in my supra and Rotella T in my cummins.

Mike

Word.... I have been runng 15-50 or 10w40 mobil 1 in the supra and 15w40 rotella ( I get it in 55 gallon drums) in the diesel's and my 22ret to!!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts