Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well it's DONE! JDM TT Swap. I just want to thank Kenny Tolbert @ Tolbert Automotive for all the hard work he put into the car. As many of you know I have had my car in the shop doing this swap. I have a JDM TT Engine, NA SP Built Tranny with 3800 stall. And let me just say I LOVE IT. Man it is a completely different car! It's amazing.

Kenny did alot of work on this thing. He wired up a JDM 6-speed Harness (extending all the wiring) to a JDM Auto ECU. Also he wired up the JDM ECU to the NA Built Auto Tranny (that was a pain in the arse). He Fabricated the kick down cable, Custom down pipe all the way to my Catback, installed the fuel pump, Boost gauge in the dash, Tranny oil cooler, etc...

He has it all running smoothly. And I may be the only JDM TT Swap runny an NA Built Tranny. They said it couldn't be done. But Kenny did it. I was very impressed and worried that I may need to buy an TT Auto. No worries now. But the best part was how much I spent on the labor and parts. Every situation of course will be different, but lets just say I spent LESS than $3000, quite a bit less as a matter of fact. If any of you are interested in doing this swap but don't have the time (me), or tools (also me) and don't want to spend $3000-4000 on this swap - Take it to Kenny. www.tolbertautomotive.com

There are a few issue as far as boosting is concerned but we think its the fault of the ECU. I'm boosting 10 psi when I roll on the gas, but on WOT it hits 10 then backs off. We think the ECU is detecting possible boost creep and tapering back the boost to about 7 psi. I have intake, 3"DP, and 3"Catback SuperDragger. I think a Boost Cut Controller and Manual Booster Controller is in order. But here's the pics.

[/URL][/IMG]
[/URL][/IMG]

·
Registered
466 Posts
i don't like to post up here much...

BUT WHAT THE #$()_

-3k... you are one lucky guy... i'm actually really jealous right now as i was quoted 10k and i'm already 5k+(and still spending more money by the day) for na-t.

hope you have a good time with the car..

·
looking for another Supra
1,890 Posts
awesome, i wanted to do the same swap in the past but didnt have the money. congrats and good luck boosting. its a good feeling coming from na standpoint isnt it?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
TTurboXFD3s said:
i don't like to post up here much...

BUT WHAT THE #$()_

-3k... you are one lucky guy... i'm actually really jealous right now as i was quoted 10k and i'm already 5k+(and still spending more money by the day) for na-t.

hope you have a good time with the car..
Less than $3000 was for the Labor and parts to swap this thing in. I still paid $4000 for the motor and various miscellaneous parts. But in the end I saved a hell of alot of money taking it to Tolbert.

·
Formerly NA-TT
1,268 Posts
Congrats man! Nice to see another NA-TT.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
:hail:

Congratulations, it must be fun as hell to drive with zero turbo lag on stock twin turbo, with 90% of torque already availabe from as low as 1500~2500 rpm

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
nsx4ever said:
:hail:

Congratulations, it must be fun as hell to drive with zero turbo lag on stock twin turbo, with 90% of torque already availabe from as low as 1500~2500 rpm
Yeah I was suprised to find this, it's instant go. I just need to figure out how to hold 10 psi at WOT. Any Ideas?

·
King of the NA-T's
4,044 Posts
Thats awesome man! You need a bigger turbo now to take advantage of the higher stall! :p Cangrat, hope all the work was worthwhile.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
begone said:
Yeah I was suprised to find this, it's instant go. I just need to figure out how to hold 10 psi at WOT. Any Ideas?
You should check the wastegate actuator spring. TT guys sometimes have a problem with them weakening over time and losing boost. Either that or a boost leak.

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DaveH said:
Thats awesome man! You need a bigger turbo now to take advantage of the higher stall! :p Cangrat, hope all the work was worthwhile.
Yeah Dave, I also owe you a thanks too. You sold me a GREAT running Tranny. I Love this thing! What else you have in that Turbo Labatory of yours....

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
SSSUPRA said:
You should check the wastegate actuator spring. TT guys sometimes have a problem with them weakening over time and losing boost. Either that or a boost leak.
Yeah it could be boost leak, but I can keep a steady 10 psi if I just hold the throttle. It's when I push it just that inch more that it backs it off. Well come to think about it, that is also signs of Boost leak. Where should I look and how?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks guys.

MaddMaxx, you should call Kenny. I don't know how much he could help you, but seriously this guy knows his stuff. I mean he wired a NA Built Tranny to a JDM ECU...he had to fool the ECU in thinking that the NA Tranny had those extra Cylinoids. I on the other hand have NO clue. Good luck.

·
Registered
5,197 Posts
Hey,

I'm happy your swap went well. Congratulations and I wish you the best of luck in the future.

Best Regards,
Kevin

·
WilKillya County Sheriff
2,201 Posts
Let us know of any problems you have.. as I think the jdm swap is becoming more popular.

·
Always on call
1,928 Posts
another fellow NA to TT guy here, just about to put on the US spec turbos and I couldnt be happier:) What was your total downtime?

·
Registered
2,615 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
DrDJDesi said:
another fellow NA to TT guy here, just about to put on the US spec turbos and I couldnt be happier:) What was your total downtime?
Kenny Tolbert got in done in just over 2 weeks. Among the other stuff he's working on. But what really gave him the hardest time was the Tranny. If it had been a TT Auto Tranny, he probably could have had it done in a week. Also we were waiting for an Auto ECU being shipped from New Zealand.

·
Registered
5,231 Posts
begone said:
Thanks guys.

MaddMaxx, you should call Kenny. I don't know how much he could help you, but seriously this guy knows his stuff. I mean he wired a NA Built Tranny to a JDM ECU...he had to fool the ECU in thinking that the NA Tranny had those extra Cylinoids. I on the other hand have NO clue. Good luck.
CONGRATS Begone!!!!!

I watched the progress and touched base with Ken often.... whew!!! If he'd known how much work it woulda taken, he woulda charged ya more!!! Ha ha ha.

If it had been a 5-speed, you woulda had it back in a week. He is awesome and I watched him trace signal, after signal, after signal, from the ECU to match up the tranny shift points, etc.... he knows his stuff.

Glad you're enjoying it. I am having a similar boost creep issue and we are going to do the TTC mod on it, to see if we can eliminate some of the other components as being faulty (VSVs, etc). Hope to see ya at some of the local meets soon!!!

E

1 - 20 of 20 Posts