Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I have the seal but I can't find any instructions for replacement in the shop manual. So I was looking at the underside of the car. The shifter is attached to a movable part then a rod. The rod is held to another rod that goes into the transmission with a tension clamp. So I am assuming that I simply unbolt the lower shifter and remove the tension clamp, under the tension clamp is a pin?? Then I just press the bushing over the rod and into the tranny.

Which way does the bushing go in. On side is basically just bushing the other side is open with what looks like a spring embedded in it.

Anyone ever done this. I've never seen any detailed instructions posted before.

·
Registered
583 Posts
Yep, that's how you do it. There's a pin under the clamp. The seal goes with the spring side in. It's a bitch to replace the seal with the tranny in the car. I've done one that way once and wouldn't want to repeat it anytime soon. There's a lot that has to be removed so you can get at the seal. I had to remove the DP, driveline, crossmember, and shifter from inside the car. Most people leave the old seal in and just press it in far enough to make room for the new seal. The trick is to find something to use as a seal press, it has to fit over the shift rod and be close to the same OD as the seal. Be careful when pressing the new seal in, it's hard to get started and easy to damage.

·
Registered
193 Posts
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing.. any tips for removing the old seal? I don't really like the idea of pressing a new seal over the old one but I guess I will if I have to. Seem like if i could grab ahold of it with a pick, i could pull it out.

·
Old School
4,107 Posts
supracar said:
I'm in the middle of doing the same thing.. any tips for removing the old seal? I don't really like the idea of pressing a new seal over the old one but I guess I will if I have to. Seem like if i could grab ahold of it with a pick, i could pull it out.
You are more likely to damage the mating surfaces on the shift rod and tranny housing than you are to get the seal off. And if you do get it off the single seal will leak just like your old one. Double up I say. :)

I pressed a new on on top of the old one around two years ago. Still bone dry to this day.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
toyotafan said:
Yep, that's how you do it. There's a pin under the clamp. The seal goes with the spring side in. It's a bitch to replace the seal with the tranny in the car. I've done one that way once and wouldn't want to repeat it anytime soon. There's a lot that has to be removed so you can get at the seal. I had to remove the DP, driveline, crossmember, and shifter from inside the car. Most people leave the old seal in and just press it in far enough to make room for the new seal. The trick is to find something to use as a seal press, it has to fit over the shift rod and be close to the same OD as the seal. Be careful when pressing the new seal in, it's hard to get started and easy to damage.
I noticed this is no where near as easy as I hoped it would be.

I already dropped the downpipe and my seal is leaking pretty badly since I rarely drive the car. How does the pin come out. Is it just going to fall out when I move the clamp or is it a press in piece?

So this was answered in the other thread... hammer it out. Any better options.

What did you use to press in the bushing. I thought maybe a piece of pipe or maybe a socket might work. I don't plan on removing the old seal so that shouldn't be a problem.

Do I need to lub the bushing before I try to press it in?

·
Registered
583 Posts
The pin will slide out once you remove the retaining clip. It's not pressed in, you won't need a hammer. I used a pipe to press in the new seal. You can put coat of oil or light grease will do fine. Make sure you clean the rod and mating surface too.

·
Registered
243 Posts
The pin will slide out once you remove the retaining clip. It's not pressed in, you won't need a hammer. I used a pipe to press in the new seal. You can put coat of oil or light grease will do fine. Make sure you clean the rod and mating surface too.

wat kind of pipe to press the new seal in??
please let me know i have to do this tomorrow
no need hammer?

·
GA Rocks!
1,094 Posts
people have been emailing asking me how to pull the seal out. We took a craftsman screw driver and grinded it WAY down to about a 2mm pick was on it used as a hook. Then we polished the screw driver up where it couldn't even scratch nylon. U have to drop the drive shaft, shifter, shifter clip, pin to get access to the seal. I LIGHTLY tapped my custom tool down and turned the handle 90 degrees and yanked her out. We took a round piece of nylon and turned it on the lathe. Made it 2mm wider than the shifter shaft and used that with a pipe to hammer the new seal on. Will the new seal leak? probably but my old seal was so bad i was getting huge puddles.

My buddy makes the tool and if anyone wants one... he sells them for $125 shipped including the tool u use to hammer the new one on. We only have one tool right now.

Thanks,
Sid

·
Registered
69 Posts
i did mine last month...all you need is a deep socket. (16mm 3/8" drive i believe) first remove the exhaust, then the driveshaft, the shift linkage, the shift rod retaining clip and pin... then drop the rear of the tranny by removing the tranny mount bolts for more room, then push the old seal in just enough to fit the new seal with the socket and use that same socket to drive your new seal in.<---be careful and do it slow b/c it is easy to mess up and removing that seal is a pain!

·
Registered
113 Posts
Bump* I'm in the middle of doing this, and I cant get the fucking pin out. I have gotten everything done so far rather swiftly but the pin under the tension clamp will not drop for the life of me. I have tried pushing it up and down with an allen key and a 90 degree pick set. Is it supposed to go up or down to get out? it certainly will not just fall out...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts