Supra Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is kinda a stupid question but i'd rather be safe that sorry. When you manual shift an automatic, are you supposed to let off the gas in between shifts or can u keep it floored.lol. I've done both and it doesn't seen to bother the car but iwasn't sure if it was good for it or not to not take ur foot off when u shift but being u don't have to when its in drive i figured it didn't matter.idk

·
How does my exhaust smell
1,014 Posts
An automatic TT with the traction control fuse in should retard timing between shifts so you dont have to let off. This is all assuming you are still using the stock ECU.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
If you removed the traction control fuse, then you should let off the gas between shifts. It'll help lengthen the life of your tranny. When my car was an auto, I used to let off the gas between shifts since my TC fuse was pulled, and I'd only do full throttle shifts while racing since it would give me a slight edge.

Also, if you have an aftermarket BOV, letting off gas between shifts let's you hear it, just like a 6spd :D

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
What's the use of an Auto if you're going to let off when you shift? You might as well have a 6-speed!:)

If you do let off, it does sound like you're shifting, though.

I have a built tranny and the builder said I should mannually shift it to make is last longer and not break, but he didn't say anything about letting off when I shift. All I have is the tranny and exhaust and the tires break loose on the first to second shift under hard acceration. Pretty impressive to me.

·
Ok, ok, maybe 500rwhp!!!
1,185 Posts
LOL. Put it in D, and push the gas, and go!

The reason we hear the blow off between shifts is because the traction control closes the throttle body plate between shifts. It's Toyota's way to prevent your transmission from dying.

When I get it just right, it sounds like there's a monkey screaming like it's being pummeled in the ass under the hood. LOL

Brian

·
Premium Member
12,619 Posts
Lifting between shifts on an auto defeats the purpose of having an automatic. Lifting = :ghey:

·
Medium Ballin'
3,024 Posts
FYRARMS said:
Lifting between shifts on an auto defeats the purpose of having an automatic. Lifting = :ghey:
wurd. unless you're facing the wall, and evne then in some cases, stay in it pussy.

·
wut
363 Posts
Lol, not to mention it's bad for the transmission......don't do it!

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
on my auto NA i don;t have traction control never came with it.... is that why sometimes full throttle the transmission kicks and chirps the tires ?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts