Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok guys, I am relatively new to the 6-speed world (an auto convert) and I need to get some feedback on what I'm experiencing. First, here are some basic details about my car:

93 6-speed
74,000 miles
stock twin in TTC

I just put in a brand new HPF clutch (ACT HD PP with stock flywheel). I've put approximately 1,000 miles on it, so the break-in period is over. Clutch is great so far.

On to my question: When I'm casually shifting gears everything sounds fine (although a little harsher engagement with the 6-puck disk when I don't get it quite right). When I "get on it" and I'm shifting relatively fast to avoid blowing off all my boost, when I let the clutch out and nail the gas again the drivetrain goes something like "BAM" and the car jolts upon engagement. Do I just suck at shifting (timing the engagement with the gas pedal) or is something wrong? I know that it is common for our cars to have the "thunk" sound in the rear end when shifting fast/hard; perhaps this is what I'm hearing but it's amplified since I have a clutch that is "grabbier"? I did get the thunk on my stock clutch too, but not so loud.

Give me the low-down on what is normal please.

TIA

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody has an upgraded clutch huh? Looking for a little feedback here please.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
No as a matter of fact it is not common to have a "thunk" sound when shifting hard. The noise you are hearing is prolly hard wheelhop or you could have damaged the diff. Either way try to avoid the thunk sound.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm pretty sure you're incorrect on the "thunk". I've had numerous, very reliable sources say it's normal.

S

·
0 Posts
I posted a question to the FL MKIV list about 4 yrs ago regarding this high rpm "thud" sound when shifting. My car has always done it at high rpm shifts (car is very low mileage). Others responded saying they got the same sound as well.

Nero responded that if you change the tranny mounts/rear-end mounts, the sound wil get worse because they are new and stiffer. From what I gathered it is normal and is due to flex in the mounts (or lack thereof).

You probably notice it more because the new clutch is more grabby.

·
I rock like CRACK
1,010 Posts
Strange, I have never had anyone tell that is normal. However I thought it might have something to do with my rear end blowing up. Also, why did you even start this thread if numerous people have told you the sound is normal.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I wasn't worried about it until I put the new clutch in. I'm beginning to wonder if I just suck at shifting with a grabby clutch and wanted to see if there are ways to minimize it.

I realize these trannies make noise, but passengers in the car give a strange look when they hear it.

·
Inline for the win
4,740 Posts
It could be just the drivetrain noise from when you shift the gears. The noise you prolly are hearing is when the power is being instantly applied. I have heard it all the time in my previous mustangs when powershifting. It just soundsl like you are powershifting the tranny. I would learn to try to shift fast without powershifting. It will save your synchro's in 2nd and 3rd gears.

It sounds just like gear lash from in the tranny when the shift forks change the gear cluster arrangment.

·
Registered
827 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No power shifting here. When I say fast/hard I just mean the normal way most people shift when they are racing. The sound does not occur when I move the shifter into the next gear. It occurs when I let out the clutch. As Emeril would say: BAM!

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
same thing here but I drove my car for about two years and no problem , I would say not to worry about that worry about the other guy not getting ahead of you :0P

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
Beau I still gotta get a ride in that hard top! :) I was late to it by 20 minutes haha. Hit me up on aim mc14oski

1 - 12 of 12 Posts