Supra Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know if scratches on the shim bucket bores will cause issues with the shim buckets themselves or any issues at all? I got a clean GTE head from AZ except three of the shim bucket bores look scratched near the top part of the cylinder bore. Probably due to improper shim bucket removal. If they will cause issues, can they be honed or machined? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

·
serbian by blood!!!
1,675 Posts
Who sold you the head? Pics available? Just from what you described, probably nothing to worry bout

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
If the scratches have any chance of impeding movement of the bucket, they need to be smoothed out. Also if they are severe enough that the bore becomes loose around the bucket, valve instability can increase. If they don't impede movement, probably nothing to worry about. If there is ANY chance that they will, get it machined.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Who sold you the head? Pics available? Just from what you described, probably nothing to worry bout
Ok cool, good to know. I found it on craigslist from a guy who lived in AZ and had a GTE motor in his 240SX. He recently moved to Chicago and parted out his motor for some cash. For $500....I couldn't say no....its super clean though. I post pics soon of the scratches.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the scratches have any chance of impeding movement of the bucket, they need to be smoothed out. Also if they are severe enough that the bore becomes loose around the bucket, valve instability can increase. If they don't impede movement, probably nothing to worry about. If there is ANY chance that they will, get it machined.
Hmm....let me post some pics of the scratches and let me know what you think please? I would hate for this head to be worthless. Thanks.

·
I wanna go fast!
865 Posts
Hmm....let me post some pics of the scratches and let me know what you think please? I would hate for this head to be worthless. Thanks.
No problem. It's probably fine by your description. You just want to make sure the scratches don't have any protrusions that could hang up the buckets. Post up the pics though and we'll all take a look!

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
you have to put the buckets in very straight, sometimes people put them in a little crooked and try to force it in and thats what causes the damage. if its just on the top, hit it with a file or fine sandpaper to get rid of the damage, youll be fine.

·
Banned
618 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys! Always nice to get great advice! I appreciate it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts