Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted to know if there is anybody out there that has shimmed there oil pump? I had it done and my oil pressure at full boost is at 8 bar. I dont really know if that is normal. If there is anybody out there that has done this and also what is your oil pressure at full boost?

Paul

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Its when you shim your oil pump to get more oil pressure. I am surprised that no one has done this or has heard of it.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
NUNEZTT said:
I have done it on old 3TC motors. The Supra, however, has superb oil pressure. I don't see a need for it. All these problems with FMS is because of high pressure.

So do you think it was a waist of money. And also it may cause me problems in the long run?

Paul

·
Damn Spaniards
2,328 Posts
I think it's a waste. If it ain't broke, why fuck with it? Too much pressure can be bad too. You don't want oil to blow past seals do you?

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
Alot of guys cut the spring to reduce oil pressure. Many say the FMS goes because of high oil pressure (along with high boost and blowby). I left mine stock on my engine build and so far so good.

Mike

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
why does boost affect your oil pressure?

:rofl:

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
High boost = high blowby on a worn engine-therefore increasing crankcase pressure if not properly scavenged.

Mike

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
mike91t said:
High boost = high blowby on a worn engine-therefore increasing crankcase pressure if not properly scavenged.

Mike

blow by of any thing (incl. boost) = vent thru PCV valve, and if you have that poor of a seal then you sure as hell aren't worried about oil pressure.

Scavenging refers to the fluid dynamics inside the head and manifolds.

-M

·
Registered
1,638 Posts
I've seen FMS go out on the count of large amounts of blowby. Some guys put large singles on a "worn out" high mileage engine and expet it to hold together. Your PCV can vent but only so much. Why do you think most high HP cars are running two -10 lines to a catch can??

Scavenging = to collect and remove (also it is used commonly in the terms of what you described)

This thread is about increasing oil pressure and you are deviating from that subject because you think you are smarter than I. Although you know nothing of me and I know nothing of you. I'm done now...

Mike

·
feeding your habit
4,014 Posts
mike91t said:
Why do you think most high HP cars are running two -10 lines to a catch can??
why, everyone knows they are for looks of course!

mike91t said:
This thread is about increasing oil pressure and you are deviating from that subject because you think you are smarter than I. Although you know nothing of me and I know nothing of you. I'm done now...

Mike
It's really nothing to do with you, and I don't see where he asked about raising the oil pressure in specific. I just pointed out that full boost really has NOTHING to do with oil pressure. If he wants to raise his oil pressure, so be it, but he should know oil pressure is completely dependant on RPM, not boost. I don't doubt that you're a smart guy....... and in being one, you also know that there a lots of weird things that are said on this board, sometimes when I'm having one of those days, I get a little sarcastic. Anyway, there's lots of dumb ideas (like boiling fuel in the rail, is the latest that comes to mind) and it's interesting to read them.

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
but back to topic:
I would stick with the OE oil pressure. It´s more than sufficient and everything more than this the risk to damage the FMS is increasing! My new one went out even with the all original oil pump..
And 8bar is definitively too much. I would have said 5 bar are really enough juice.
Gerd

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for all the help. I guess I am buying a new oil pump. That sucks because I payed 150$ to have it done. O well Thanks again guys for the help.

·
1400rwhp/8 Sec Club
2,831 Posts
You do not need to modify the stock oil pump! And 8 bar oil pressure is not to much.. the more oil pressure the better!! Usually you shim the oil pump, to gain oil pressure ..... but the stock pump does not need messed with.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
SteelCitySupra said:
You do not need to modify the stock oil pump! And 8 bar oil pressure is not to much.. the more oil pressure the better!! Usually you shim the oil pump, to gain oil pressure ..... but the stock pump does not need messed with.

So you dont think 8 bars is to high? The thing is the motor is gettin rebuilt now. Do you think I should get a new one or just put on the shimmed one? I am building it for high hp. 800+. The head is built and the bottom end is being built now.

Thanks for the help.

Here are my mods
HEAD

Port polished (machined by Dave Localio at HeadGames)
Ti Valves 1 mm over
Ti dual springs
Ti Retainers
HKS Cams (272) Intake & Exhaust
unorthodox Cam Timing Gear Intake & Exhaust
aftermarket Damper

Engine Modifications

Q45 TB
supra style intake manifold
GTE Bottom end
CP pistons
Carillo Rods
SPS Carr Rod Bolts

Fuel System

PHR 17.5mm ID Fuel Rail
HKS 1000cc Injectors
Dual TT fuel pumps
Kevlar fuel lines
Aeromotive Fuel Pressure Regulator
100 psi liquid filled FP gauge

Turbo System

PT 71 GTS .81 AR
Lance's tubular header
4" downpipe & midpipe
3" IC piping 3" 1/2 cold side
HKS race type 2 blow off valve
24x12x4(core size) intercooler

Electronics

Motec M4 PRO ECU
Motec Wide Band Lambda Option, Sensor
Raychem Custom Wiring Harness
NTC Air Temp Sensor
3 BAR MAP Sensor
TRD Triple 60mm Gauge Pod
Apexi Boost, Oil Press, Fuel Press 60mm
Blitz Boost Controller

Driveline

6 speed getrag
RPS Stage 3 Clutch
Toyomoto custom drive shaft
TRD Limited Slip Differential

Rev limiter is set at 8500

·
Boost4fun
1,848 Posts
Apparently the OEM pump is possibly making up to that amount. But where I do not agree is the higher the better. From a certain point on (let´s say around 7/8 bar) there is surely no benefit anymore, rather downsides like blown FMS and other gaskets.
The oil flow is surely efficient enough in our engines.
Gerd

1 - 20 of 31 Posts