Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Really hoping that someone can identify these shocks? they came on my 95 TT six speed Japanese import, and as you can see by the picture they are some kind of electronic adjustable, but it did not come with the electronics to adjust! if i can find out what and where they came from, i stand a chance of being able to adjust them.

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
I looked at the picture earlier today. To me it seems to look more like a factory shock than an aftermarket one. It has the inspection paint dab, and the top is from stamped steel, rather than machined aluminum. I know there weren't any adjustable shocks in the USDM Supras, but this was an import.....did they offer an electronic adjustable damper on any of the JDM cars?

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think the paint dab just on the top mount, i have looked at the shock body and there is no markings on there other than a completely faded paper label,
i am a member of the UK Supra club and nobody has ever seen these on an import, i have never heard of an electric factory option, but it could be a possibility, its no good contacting any UK dealers as they seem to know less than the enthusiasts :rolleyes:

·
Bearded Hermit
39 Posts
Thats the stock facttory REAS system is it not ? have you aslo got a multitude of extra pipe work around the shock area under rear of car ?

·
Bearded Hermit
39 Posts
Dont quote me on that as I have never ever seen one in the flesh due to being as rare as rocking horse poo. Ive only ever seen tech pictures of the system. And I'm also informed " dont know how true this is" that there was also a form of "EDFC" that was also available on the JDM market. Whether these 2 are one and the same thing who knows. Aparently it was only sport and normal modes of ajustability available.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
migster said:
Thats the stock facttory REAS system is it not ? have you aslo got a multitude of extra pipe work around the shock area under rear of car ?

No there are no extra pipes , it does look to me like they where designed to be electronically adjusted though, so i'm wondering if they could be an early form of Tein EDFC.

·
Bearded Hermit
39 Posts
Could be But most if not all the Teins have Tein stamped on the shock body. If they look stock with stock looking springs I be betting on the OEM form of EDFC that i keep hearing about whch came before REAS. Apparently there are quite a few odball things that were JDM market only. But as I have never seen it in the flesh or any of the other forms so I cant say for certain. I would be looking all over every part for Toyota OEM stamping at least then you could tule out the above :ugh2:

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
While the wires on this are probably for damping adjustment, it's likely not like EDFC. The EDFC units (and most of the adjustable damping suspension) are mechanically rotating valves in the shock body to change the damping characteristics. The EDFC units are just remote control "wrenches" that you can adjust from inside the cabin.

The typical OEM type of electric damping control was to use a shock fluid that can change its viscosity with electrical/magnetic field. That looks a LOT more like what you have on the damper in the picture. If it were a traditional damping adjustment there would have to be something mechanical that went down the center of the shock for adjustment.

These remind me much of the dampers used by OEM's on cars like the Volvo S60R/S70R, and the mod 90's corvette ZR-1.

·
Bearded Hermit
39 Posts
cord4530 said:
While the wires on this are probably for damping adjustment, it's likely not like EDFC. The EDFC units (and most of the adjustable damping suspension) are mechanically rotating valves in the shock body to change the damping characteristics. The EDFC units are just remote control "wrenches" that you can adjust from inside the cabin.

The typical OEM type of electric damping control was to use a shock fluid that can change its viscosity with electrical/magnetic field. That looks a LOT more like what you have on the damper in the picture. If it were a traditional damping adjustment there would have to be something mechanical that went down the center of the shock for adjustment.

These remind me much of the dampers used by OEM's on cars like the Volvo S60R/S70R, and the mod 90's corvette ZR-1.
Yup sounds about right :ugh2: Very popular with Ferrari also.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
In which case how im i going to find the adjuster part? and even if i do it could end up costing more than a new set of aftermarket shocks and springs at OEM parts prices :rolleyes:

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
If it is the magnetic field kind of damping, there's no mechanical adjuster at all. Putting voltage through the lines controls the damping. The sad part about those dampers is that the internals fail just like any other damper. After so many miles (or km's)...they just wear out.

If we knew they were OEM from a JDM car, one may be able to find the wiring schematic to figure out which wires were supposed to be connected where. Was there a controller for the shocks on those cars? Or was it just a multi-position switch that powered 12v to certain wires? I'm not really able to help with these details since I never saw any Supras with adjustable suspension from the factory. (though I know a few lexus of that era did have them....)

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just bumping this up in the hope someone can make an educated guess on how to achieve damping adjustment, as they are far to soft at high speed, do you think its worth trying a 12v supply to one or more of the wires? they are coloured red, black, which i presume should be supplied with a permanent 12V ? and i think the others are coloured green and yellow (will check tomorrow) any suggestions? or do you think its likely to kill them if i get it wrong!?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Check the resistence between each of the wires with a digital ohm meter. That will help determine which wires are safe to connect + and - to, and which are not.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
cord4530 said:
Check the resistence between each of the wires with a digital ohm meter. That will help determine which wires are safe to connect + and - to, and which are not.
So i would be looking for larger resistance, which would indicate a coil or winding?
any idea just what the likely form of making the adjustment would be?

·
Registered
227 Posts
look like jap factory to me

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Tricky-Ricky said:
So i would be looking for larger resistance, which would indicate a coil or winding?
any idea just what the likely form of making the adjustment would be?
Yep, that's it! Also, it's possible that a full 12V wasn't applied to the system either. Knowing the restince between leads you can calculate the current that would be going through the wires if 12V were applied. If you get anything more than 5-10 amps, it's possible it wasn't designed for 12V, and was maybe more like 5V or something.

But if I had to guess (based on the number of wires) that they just ran 12V to several wires depending on what the damping setting was. None activated = soft damping. 1 activated = medium, 2 activated = sport, etc.

I'm still surprised that someone hasn't found a wiring diagram or anything yet.
-Dan

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well after putting a meter across the connections, i get
red - black 3.2 ohm on one front shock and 2.3 ohm on the other, the other two wires are open circuit, any ideas?

·
Alpine Hardtopper
1,096 Posts
Are there 4 wires coming out? What colors are all of the wires? Aproximately what gage are the wires?

1 - 20 of 35 Posts