Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Shop close to 215/10 interchange...who needs it!!!

Just wanting to see who can take a look at my car, I finally got it running from the clutch problem fixing. Now after jumping it and trying to charge the battery by taking a 45 min freeway run...I came back off the freeway and when I got to a stop light car started to pop loudly like I am running one or two cylinders short. Limped the car home and don't want to touch it.
Just wondering if there is a place close by form the supra community that might be able to see it. I was gonna get the valve cover gaskets replaced (have parts from Curt) and spark plugs changed ASAP but can't do it in the car port and was wondering if that was my problem. Anybody wanna help a brother out!

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Your ignition timing might be slightly advanced. You might want to have the engine timing checked. You'll need an engine timing gun and a TSM, it's relatively easy to do.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, the car before I put it away for a month before I could get the clutch master cylinder fixed was having a small ticking noise. After I fixed the clutch, took it out for the drive, no real big noises, drove fine on the freeway, but then really erupted with big noises when I got off the freeway and stopped at the light to go home.

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Is the poping noise like a backfire noise? Or is the poping sound comming from the engine bay?

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
engine bay noise...

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Here's a few more questions for you:

1. Does the car idle without the poping noise?
2. Does the poping noise come when you rev the engine up?
3. Did the check engine light come on?
4. Is the poping sound like metal crunches or an eletrical poping sound (like wires sparking)?

You might want to post on the NA section and Mk4 section to get more opinons on this problem.

Because I have no clue how or exactly where the poping sound is comming from, I'm thinking its an engine timing issue.

·
Supraman Vs. Mista-T
804 Posts
Maybe a skipped tooth. I wouldnt trust anything in the Dino county area. Good luck mang. Thats Trucka City. Weather's too hot for me.

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hey Mike,

Yeah was gonna call you up but hadn't got around to it yet. I think I may be able to make the drive to your house but not sure yet to see what this noise is.

FLZ Boy
at first the car will idle with just a slight ticking. then when I rev it a little the noise will start...it's a loud almost exhaust leak sounding pop or banging noise.
and the check engine light hasn't come on yet *crossing fingers*
yeah I posted in the NA forum but no luck...maybe I should go straight to the mk4 forum

·
Registered
402 Posts
could be a possible spun bearing but to tell you the truth it would be better if i just went down to your pad and heard it myself is there any silver in the oil if you pull your dip stick?

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll check that tomorrow. I'm working tomorrow but maybe you could swing by thur or fri?

·
Registered
402 Posts
give me a call after 4 and i will swing by no reason to drive it and risk causing more damage. could go from minor repair to major. hey kevin when can i see the ride :)

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
Hopefully its minor :bigthumb:

·
Is it stick? Is it turbo?
729 Posts
Hey Mike, so you finally got your car painted huh? Changed from the white paint to.....(rsp?) What shop did you get it painted at? I'm currently looking around for a good paint shop, and any recommendations will definitely help out. Thanks!

·
Registered
402 Posts
hey suprameng its been painted since silv 05 actually ihad put the vehicle all together thurs morning me and my buddy took a whole week shaving door handles wing rear wiper rear squirter finished molding the body kit had all the glass taken out all that fun stuff but the color is actually oriental candy blue from house of color . oh ya and six months later i got bumped from behind so now i got to get the back bumper repainted and i got a new doluck type 2 bumper thats going on with something else:)

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey Mike I'll call you tomorrow (thurs) after 4. If you want to drop by on the way home, just go down the 215 exit washington...I'll tell you later. Anyways it will probably be easier if you do it on your way home than coming back this way from your place

·
Registered
402 Posts
hey i went to washington but i forgot i got a new phone and all my numbers r in the old phone give me a call so i can check it out k

·
MyNuttz
874 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
sorry I didn't get to call you...I ended up just chillin cause it's my bday today and didn't want to deal with this problem child of mine...sorry about that...I'll give you a call tomorrow, maybe try tonight if it's not too late

1 - 20 of 23 Posts