Supra Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well i have seen what looks to be a BHG, actually be a PIN HOLE leak on the radiator that would only leak when the car warmed up.
I have also seen the radiator cap fail and cause what appeared to be a BHG.

On both, the obvious sign is that you will SMELL the sweetness of the coolant but the exhaust is normal without any additional smoke.
And that would be true. Now I'm burning some oil, I'm pretty sure of that, this engine has not been rebuilt to my knowledge and I'm pretty much just keeping the car safe and running.

But it doesn't have the odor of burning antifreeze, and the bottom of the car has been coated with red coolant repeatedly. My shop told me the only problem had to be the head gasket. I just sent him a text asking about an oil and filter change and letting him know I'd fixed the coolant problem

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
And I have either blown another radiator cap or I need a head gasket. Probably head gasket. It got warmer today, I drove it about 50 miles (25 round trip). Yup losing coolant. I have a love hate relationship with this car. At least it got an oil change.

·
Registered
314 Posts
It's important to know WHERE the coolant is coming from. After you've driven it and parked, the cooling system will be pressurized and more easy to spot leaks for a few minutes until it cools and the pressure drops. Obviously a leak means you'll have a short time. Anyhow, immediately open the hood when the engine's turned off and take a bright flashlight and look for the leak.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
It's important to know WHERE the coolant is coming from. After you've driven it and parked, the cooling system will be pressurized and more easy to spot leaks for a few minutes until it cools and the pressure drops. Obviously a leak means you'll have a short time. Anyhow, immediately open the hood when the engine's turned off and take a bright flashlight and look for the leak.
It is coming out the overflow tube on the overflow. Which I interpret to mean exhaust gas leaking from the headgasket, heating the coolant. I popped the hood as soon as I got home, I mean straight off the highway and into the garage, by the time I opened the hood there were a couple of drops of red coolant in front of the overflow, and it was on the front of the radiator, etc. Now when I was low, in town, I might have overfilled the overflow. But my flashlight said I hadn't.
I was adding it because I was low. I had maybe driven 150 miles in short hops since changing the radiator cap

·
Registered
314 Posts
Hmm. So a blown head gasket will push bubbles in a steady stream through the overflow rubber tube into the overflow. Then if the overflow is properly filled or even overfilled but there is still some air at the top of the overflow - these bubbles will bubble up to the surface of the coolant in the overflow, and then release out the shorter vent tube that's also on the top of the overflow. It's compression gases pushing through the system but it should not be pushing coolant out of the overflow. A way to check for these constant bubbles is with the engine warmed up from a drive, come home to leave it idling and look to see if the overflow is bubbling gently. Not usually a ton by the way. Just a steady appearance of bubbles. Revving the engine with someone in the drivers seat so you can watch will speed up the bubbles. 2500rpm would be sufficient. A flashlight helps you see it and this assumes the system is properly full of coolant, or it could be merely air pockets pushing through.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I will try this. I'll get someone to man the gas pedal while I check.

This car has close to 200,000 miles on the original engine, trans, etc. According to what I'm reading it may be close to needing the engine rebuilt and I'm not doing that. I want to win the lottery, buy a Tesla and sell the car back to the daughter for what I paid for it. If I win the lottery I can have her garage built. When I bought it, it was sitting in the rain on 4 flat tires and she could barely pay her mortgage.

The head gasket was out when I bought it, she just didn't know it was out, we couldn't figure out why it overheated, I replaced radiator, water pump, you name it, it got it. Still overheated.
I called my shop, ordered a $300 head gasket, and had it put on, I think $800 in labor. Odds are good that the one I bought was a metal gasket and the head was not properly prepped for it. I can't babysit a shop. If I have a head gasket done it will be the OEM kind, I think, which is only $200, plus labor. But I'm not sure I'm going to fix it. I can just drive to grocery store once a week to keep it going until she has a garage built to put it in.... Then sell it back to her. I thought it was a good investment that would accumulate value if I just kept it running, but it's not feeling that way.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I will be looking for bubbles. I also contacted my daughter and let her know I want to sell the car back to her before its next insurance renewal and that she needs a garage. I am not a supra mechanic. She is, and that baby that was a baby when I bought the car and stuck it in my garage is 6 years old now and can hand her tools. Thank you for your wisdom @IdahoDoug . Appreciate it.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Just a head's up on the engine needing a rebuild. Not likely unless its been abused. This is a strong engine. A refresh of the top (head) may make sense to put in new valve seals, a new head gasket, then adjust the valves and button 'er up. If your daughter ends up with it and is mechanical, she'll know to just check a few basics like oil pressure with a mechanical guage, and perhaps a compression check to see things are about the same in each cylinder, then yank the head and refresh it. I'm doing one now in the spare room and it's an easy head to work on.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I'm sure it's easy to work on, but I'd rather refinish furniture and dig up 1/3 of an acre with a shovel and put my garden in..... and if I get it apart, and don't get it back together, I have a mess, that no one wants to work on and will involve a tow truck to move. She will know what to do, or she can check in here and read this, I'll let her know what threads to search. I have taxes, 1099s, anything that needs fixed on the house, in the yard, and 2 chevy pickups before I go on 6 to 7 day weeks in the spring. And I just feel so relieved that the car had an oil change, and I don't have to embark on the whole learning curve.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Yeah, wasn't implying you should try this - just didn't want you to tell your daughter "the folks on the forum say it needs a rebuild" and concern her. Likely just a general tune to drive, or if that cooling drip turns out to be a head gasket, just needs a head refresh. This is a sports car with a durable truck engine, basically. Nothing high strung or exotic about the 7MGE engine you/we have.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #32 (Edited)
Yeah, wasn't implying you should try this - just didn't want you to tell your daughter "the folks on the forum say it needs a rebuild" and concern her. Likely just a general tune to drive, or if that cooling drip turns out to be a head gasket, just needs a head refresh. This is a sports car with a durable truck engine, basically. Nothing high strung or exotic about the 7MGE engine you/we have.
I just wish I was about 20 years younger and had the time and the energy to tackle it. It's not a done deal, my insurance is paid thru mid may I think. If I end up with time and energy I might try it, but it is highly unlikely. I run a seasonal business that takes off in spring, if for some reason it doesn't, well, I do have a garage. The car has not been abused, it's a sweet little car, good to know that the engine is a tough one. I'm guessing this is not an aluminum block like my mazda pickup was? I'll check it with a magnet tomorrow.

I paid a shop to redo the head gasket November 30 2015, $700 to install, $100 to service the head? - and it did quit running hot, but I have no way to know whether they properly prepared that block for the metal gasket I bought. Until I got under it, it would not have occurred to me that maybe they weren't changing the oil filter on oil changes. Kinda hurts my feelings, I've dealt with this shop since 2006, and they were always good, until the supra. and yes they did change the head gasket for me, and they cut a new turbo gasket as the set didn't come with it, and the turbo hasn't worked since the HG change. I just don't want to hand out free money for iffy work that I am A. not qualified to supervise, and B. Insurance rules would prevent me from being in the shop anyway. It's too much money.

I did get to be in the shop for the oil change, but I took it to a shop that isn't busy and doesn't worry too much about insurance rules. (or wear masks)

·
Registered
314 Posts
Nice. Wow the turbo is not working since they worked on it. Hmm. I hope someone on this list who loves Supras reads this and offers to come take a look. Yes, iron block that will give a lot of service. What city are you in/near?

·
Registered
964 Posts
Hmm. So a blown head gasket will push bubbles in a steady stream through the overflow rubber tube into the overflow. Then if the overflow is properly filled or even overfilled but there is still some air at the top of the overflow - these bubbles will bubble up to the surface of the coolant in the overflow, and then release out the shorter vent tube that's also on the top of the overflow. It's compression gases pushing through the system but it should not be pushing coolant out of the overflow. A way to check for these constant bubbles is with the engine warmed up from a drive, come home to leave it idling and look to see if the overflow is bubbling gently. Not usually a ton by the way. Just a steady appearance of bubbles. Revving the engine with someone in the drivers seat so you can watch will speed up the bubbles. 2500rpm would be sufficient. A flashlight helps you see it and this assumes the system is properly full of coolant, or it could be merely air pockets pushing through.
very common for a blown HG to push coolant into the overflow. totally filling it. etc

also common to blow the radiator, coolant hoses etc because if the gasket lets compression gas into the cooling system, that volume of coolant gets displaced.

now its also common for a hg to act up and only do this 1x every two or three drives (when its first going out)

now you want to actually remove the radiator cap and look there (not at the overflow). you can also have coolant "sniffed" to see if combustion gasses are present. there are test kits for this

now does that oil look like a milk shake ? thats next and it will destroy that engine / bearings very fast. like if you see milky oil damage is prob done.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Fort Worth, TX. After the HG I got about a year with motor mounts, minor stuff, it broke down thanksgiving 2016, I had it towed home, It sat in the garage until Feb 2018 and I had it towed to a shop. It only had a dead battery, but credit cards only work if you can pay them and it broke me pretty good, I can't drive it for work, I drive a full size pickup.
So Feb 2018 I get a new battery, and I drove it some that summer, 50 miles a couple of times a week, and the fan belt broke on the highway. i got off the highway, it was rush hour, by the time I did, the guage read hot, shut it down and had it towed to shop, they didn't find any damage to anything except a broken wire for a guage or something and the belt, but I started losing coolant then, initially by a pump on the front passenger side of the engine, at the seal, got that fixed, still losing some coolant, you get the picture. I'm tired.

Oil looks great. It was dirty but absolutely no milk shake. Which is why no one thought the head gasket needed done the first time. In November 2015, right after I bought the car @madisonMK3 . when I had the HG done I had already replaced the entire coolant system and the car consistently ran hot. Today the car does not run hot, and I know about milk shake. Blew a HG in my chevy pickup, it was pudding

·
Registered
314 Posts
OK, Fort Worth. Well there is a lady who has a mechanics shop and a Gen 3 Supra but she's south west of Austin - Faye Hadley. She's amazing. Too far but perhaps someone in the FW area will see this.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
OK, Fort Worth. Well there is a lady who has a mechanics shop and a Gen 3 Supra but she's south west of Austin - Faye Hadley. She's amazing. Too far but perhaps someone in the FW area will see this.
I have not risked the 100 miles to my daughter's house since I nursed it home last summer (I met her to pick up kids, turn car off, coolant departs, and took off 10 minutes later, so I ended up low on coolant on a July afternoon in Dallas traffic.) I managed not to overheat the engine. I can't go to Austin unless I took like 12 hours to do it, being sure the car stayed cool, and I am afraid the tow bill is past what my Hagerty's will cover. And I have pets and a house. Hoping for a Fort Worth shop.

I've been using a foreign car shop that has a young guy they let work on my supra and they hate to see it coming... it takes too long, it's not easy like one with an OBD. As a consequence fixes tend to be quick and easy, no real exploration done unless I go in and point, and that oil filter had missing paint on it, like failed attempts to remove, and yes, even with a lift when I did get it changed it took him 15 or 20 minutes to get it off, with me watching, at the old chevy shop.

·
Hardcore Night Warrior
2,558 Posts
I'd help out, but you're like 3 hours away and I'm near Austin. Maybe lean on ATS Racing? They're an MR2 shop in Denton.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Denton is closer, I might get up there one day. Unfortunately the Supra is about to be stuck in the garage while I tackle koi pond season. The phone is ringing, people want work done. At the end of pond season maybe I can afford to fix the car. So far I haven't had anyone over that can operate the gas pedal so I can check for bubbles. And now I don't know when I will have time. However I have noted that a car in the garage doesn't rust, burn the engine up due to needed repairs or much of anything to create more problems, so it will be alright. It spent 14 months in the garage over a dead battery once. It's a collector's item....I guess. Have a good day and thank you

I'd help out, but you're like 3 hours away and I'm near Austin. Maybe lean on ATS Racing? They're an MR2 shop in Denton.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Now that I think about it, in the off season - Austin isn't that far, if I took the trip in stages with a stop for an hour half way. I just have to get a critter sitter for a couple of days and get a room down there, if I don't find another shop closer, and if I don't sell it back to the daughter. I'm just about to get slammed with work and am currently slammed with bookkeeping...

21 - 40 of 44 Posts