Supra Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When one's engine goes some people get a new short block and others have the engine rebuilt with stronger internals.
Which is a better way to go?
What is the general price of a new short block or rebuild?
Is there a test to see how good the oil rings are? Thats what I'm worried about most when buying a used Supra. The compression may be good but the oil rings can go bad.
Does anyone know when the head gasket should be replaced and how much that cost?
The reason is that I'm looking at a Supra with over 80K miles and am a little skeptical about it. thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
scottie said:
When one's engine goes some people get a new short block and others have the engine rebuilt with stronger internals.
Which is a better way to go?
What is the general price of a new short block or rebuild?
Is there a test to see how good the oil rings are? Thats what I'm worried about most when buying a used Supra. The compression may be good but the oil rings can go bad.
Does anyone know when the head gasket should be replaced and how much that cost?
The reason is that I'm looking at a Supra with over 80K miles and am a little skeptical about it. thanks!
Here is the new factory shortblock:

Stock shortblock has been tested and proven to hold tons of power, so MOST people dont need built internals. When talking built internals you are looking at approx $1000 for pistons, and $800 for rods (I think), plus labor and misc (rings, wrist pins, bearings). Toyota shortblock comes fully assembled, and can be had for $2500 or so. There is a test to figure out how good the piston rings are, it's called compression test. Even better indicator is the leak-down test. Toyota dealer can do either one for you, should cost around $100. Every time you pull off the cylinder head, you should replace the head gasket. I think it's $100 for Toyota head gasket, and it works great. 80k miles is not much for a Supra, if it was maintained regularly, and taken care of. Have compression checked before you buy it, make sure it's around 160 PSI in every cylinder. Check for leaks, and other obvious problems. Test how well turbos build boost, and how they hold it. Good luck!

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
You can get a set of Crower rods, and JE pistons for about $2K, add $275 for a set of new bearings, figure about $4-500 for machine shop costs to bore it, hot tank it, and polish the crank. So for $2700-2800 you can build your own short block with much stonger parts. Up to you but I know what I would do!!

Lar
SP

M

·
0 Posts
Sound Performance said:
You can get a set of Crower rods, and JE pistons for about $2K, add $275 for a set of new bearings, figure about $4-500 for machine shop costs to bore it, hot tank it, and polish the crank. So for $2700-2800 you can build your own short block with much stonger parts. Up to you but I know what I would do!!

Lar
SP
But that doesn't include labor. With labor from a competent engine builder, you're looking at 4-5k total.

Must be nice to have the equipment and expertise to build your own engine! :)

·
Registered
11,270 Posts
Maao said:

But that doesn't include labor. With labor from a competent engine builder, you're looking at 4-5k total.

Must be nice to have the equipment and expertise to build your own engine! :)

$2200 to assemble a block?? Just to install the crank and pistons?? No way, thats way too high, Maybe $700 to assemble the block. That will get you to the same position as buying a new block.

Lar
SP

M

·
0 Posts
I definately agree w/ Lar. Unless you're gonna stay on the stock pea shooters your whole life, build that baby tough! If you have to go ahead and change things, why not go w/ stronger aftermarket parts? That's a lot of things that shouldn't break eventually for not too much more $$$.

I know when I hit the 100k mark, I'm rebuilding w/ some nice fortified parts and freshening everything up. :)

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Lar,

So Lar can you help me out if I end up buying this Supra. I think I will rebuild it at around 110K miles. This gives me plenty of time to save up to get the whole engine refreshed. Can you please give me a good estimate of the cost of rebuilding with the parts you described above including labor? . Will the head also have to be redone? I am skeptical about the pins. I just had to replace the engine in my 91 Accord because or blown oil rings yet the compression test came out perfect!! Will a leak down test tell me how good the oil rings are? Thanks so much Lar!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts