T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings!

89 MkIII N/A
165k miles
Bone Stock

Every once in a while it just does not have enough juice to start. The battery is relatively new (replaced 6 months ago) and I'm reading 14v while idling. I've looked for parasitic drains, but I've never found anything robbing amps while the key is off.

This is my wife's daily driver, and her commute is probably a whole 10 minutes long at less than 30mph. She usually starts it and lets it idle for 5 minutes or so, then drives to work. Now that the temperature is dropping (here in NJ anyway), she's idling more like 10 minutes before she heads out.

I have a sneaking suspicion that she needs to rev the engine a bit more by taking the longer way home and getting on the highway, but I'd like some input from the forum, so fire away...

Thanks in advance,
Mike

·
CT12 Destroyer
2,993 Posts
If it's as cold as it is in NH were you are I had to resort to buying a block heater..it was so cold that my cars would take a few tries to start Could be that OR...

what kind of battery are you using..If you live up north were you have cold winters and such I'd say go with an Optima Red top battery. They are a hefty price (about $120) But they wont die...or atleast ive never killed one, they can sit for long periods of time and still start up on the first try i have one in my integra that hasent been drivin for 5 months, Get in< starts right up..

Im not sure if any of thise helped but G'Luck

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thermactor,
That doesn't sound like a copout bandage solution at all... many times in the past I've had to use higher-output-than-stock alternators. I'm just trying to make sure that I am not overlooking a problem that will come up again regardless of the alternator's output.

BTW, how much higher is the turbo alt's output?

Thanks again,
Mike

·
Registered
5,728 Posts
The Turbo alternator is 80 amps. Also all 89-92 Cressida alternators are 80 amps as well and are the same unit as the Turbo' s alt. The N/A alternator, from what I know, is 70 amps. You can cheaply pick up a Turbo alt on eBay, and at the scrapyards.

·
boost freak
10,042 Posts
if the batt is new and of good quality and you're reading 14V @ idle, your alt is fine. there must be some drain somewhere.....measure how much current is being pulled from the batt w/the car off, pull fuses until you find it.

X

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think junky is making a very good point, if the batt is cold it will not be able to store or release electrons as quickly as it would if it were warmer(ie during a summer day). Excluding an possibility of ground leaks(which you can check for with an amp-meter in series with a lead to or from the batt), I would suspect the cold is taking its toll on the batt. How many cca is the batt rated at? That is what really counts when purchasing a batt(and what you will notice the biggest difference in with the optima and other brands).

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
i dont know if you do this, maybe try not using the A/C with the heat, it might help a little

·
Registered
95 Posts
I worked for Interstate Batteries for about two years before I joined the Coast Guard, so maybe I can help alittle.
I think you hit the nail on the head, about the short trip theory. Your battery can't over come the load your starter, radio, lights and other misc things put on it in 10-20 mins of alternator charging. Infact I have the same problem with my turbo model. The best advice I can give to you is invest in a battery charger and give the battery a good 24 hour charge every 3 months. We would always try to charge batteries at Interstate, and we would find about 30-35% of the batteries were just in need of a good 24hr 2amp charge.

Just my 2 cents,

Jeremy

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks, Jeremy. You reminded me of yet another thing: lights. Currently, she's needing to have the headlights on every time she drives the car (dark to dark work hours), so that can't be good. I'll hook up the charger tonight when she gets home.

Thanks,
Mike

1 - 10 of 10 Posts