Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's experiences with short shifters? I've heard different things, good and bad. Does it require a little more effort to shift with a short shifter or just certain ones?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What is the b&m shifter? and what does b and M stand for? Does anyone use the bryce danna one, i hear it keeps the "reverse" thing that we have to pull up to put it into reverse? How much $$$ are we looking at too to get one and can you install it yourself without majorly risking to mess something up?

·
Registered
2,576 Posts
A friend of mine has the Bryce Dana short shifter. The feel is EXCELLENT. I don't think those are available anymore. But I am gonna get one, maybe the B&M. It's like everything else, once you have experienced a mod, stock just isn't good enough anymore!

·
Registered
25 Posts
I have the BD short shifter. It was a little bit of a pain to install, but once in it feels great! I installed it over the summer, and I don't remember what the car was like without it. In fact, I don't really even notice that I have the BD short shifter any more, it just feels like part of the car.

Rich

·
You serious?
2,999 Posts
I use the BD Short shifter as well and I can't see the car without it. I'm surprised that all of these horsepower junkies doesn't have some kind of short shift in the car. It's crazy to be without something like this.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Howdy Folks -

I'm running a B&M (someone asked: B&M is a manufacturer of aftermarket parts, very big in the domestic scene, and now providing import tuner parts).

I did _not_ personally install mine, so I'm not sure of the complexity in that regard, *but* the final product is excellent. Very solid shifts, positive engagement, very tight throws. It came with a nice (looking) B&M stamped metal shift knob, but the factory unit fits on it too (which I really prefer!) - I stick the B&M knob on for shows.

The only downside, is the metal reverse lockout collar can become very hot (I keep mine under my boot) - this is from heat transfer from the tranny *and* ambient heat if you park the car in the sun - same goes for the knob.

·
Registered
2,687 Posts
I have the B&M too but haven't had time to install. It looks pretty nice but I hope the heat issue mentioned above isn't too big of a deal.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Some people have had problems with the B&M shifter breaking off. Doesn't this shifter also have a reverse lockout wear problem. (I have the BD)

A couple people had a breakage problem on early BD shifters.

·
Registered
32 Posts
greensoup2 said:
Some people have had problems with the B&M shifter breaking off. Doesn't this shifter also have a reverse lockout wear problem. (I have the BD)

A couple people had a breakage problem on early BD shifters.
That's correct. I have the B&M shifter, and can engage reverse if I miss sixth gear... In other words, the lockout collar is absolutely worthless, (it's an L bracket made out of an easily bendable metal). Of course you'd have to be an idiot to do that, but it's possible if you let someone drive your car that doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Other than this problem, the shifts are much shorter, and as they mentioned above, click into gear. I personally love the mod.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I also have the BD short shifter, that was the best $100 I have ever spent for a mod. Can't imagine driving with the stock shifter.

Too bad Bryce isn't in the Supra scene anymore.

Bob
97 6-speed

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
QSVeilside said:

That's correct. I have the B&M shifter, and can engage reverse if I miss sixth gear... In other words, the lockout collar is absolutely worthless, (it's an L bracket made out of an easily bendable metal). Of course you'd have to be an idiot to do that, but it's possible if you let someone drive your car that doesn't know what the hell he's doing. Other than this problem, the shifts are much shorter, and as they mentioned above, click into gear. I personally love the mod.
Have you always been able to engage reverse without uing the lockout or did it just happen over time?

Never know what can happen and going into reverse instead of 6th wouldn't be pretty...

·
10 Second Club
204 Posts
QSVeilside said:
jonathan-

it bends with time. in my case, within a week.

Ahh that sucks. I was thinking of taking mine to Under Pressure before I install it and having one of the guys there try and strengthen that piece.

Can you give more detail of the piece and do you think it could be fixed if stronger, stiffer metal were welded to the L?

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
So this Bryce Dana Shifter, is there no way to get one. From people here it seems the B&M breaks down. I have been wanting a short shifter and it seems as if the BD would be the way to go. Anybody know anybody to get one of these.

VERY interested if anyone has one for sale or knows about how to obtain one, [email protected]

Thanks
Enrique M.
97TT 6spd

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
What about the TRD short throw??? any info on that one

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think TRD only offers short shift for 5 spd not 6 spd. I have tried cars with B&M and C's. I like the look and feel of C's short shift.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
I sell a ton of the b&m shifters they are great feel and fit.

For the person that went through two shifters, it must of been a bad batch or something but I am sure you get a replacement out quickly from b&m they have great customer service department.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts