Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Wholesome creamy goodness
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I finally took the plunge and got a C's Shortshifter after hearing it's praise for a long time. Below is a pic that compares the shifters that I currently have. From top to bottom:

1. C's Shifter
2. BD/93 Stock Shifter...The BD is basically a modified Stock 93 Shifter. You can see the weld where it was modified below the ball joint. It is unfortunately not made anymore.
3. Stock 97 Shifter

First, as you can see the Stock 97 Shifter is long as hell. After about one year ith the stock shifter I upgraded to the BD Shifter, which like I said is basically a modified 93 Shifter. The nice thing about the BD Shifter was the noticable reduction in shift lenght compared to the 97 Stock shifter. I haven't felt a completely stock 93 shifter so I can't comment of whether it was shorter than a truly stock 93 shifter. But I do know for sure, one of the biggest benifits of the BD Shifter was 4th to 5th shift which was incredibly short and straight. I used the BD shifter for 6 years without a single problem.

Yesterday I finally installed my C's which I bought from a forum member. After installing the C's and driving around for awhile, I can definately say that is definately a bit shorter than the BD Shifter. Its not considerably shorter, but shorter nonetheless. It isn't as easy to shift compared to the BD Shifter, but that could probably be because I'm not used to it just yet. Plus, considering that it's shorter...less leverage. The shifts are still as rough as before, but then again, the V160 wasn't always the smoothest tranny out there! I may notice a difference as time goes by and I get used to the shifter, but right now, not too much of a difference. But one thing is for certain, the build quality of the C's Shifter is second to none. For those who want nothing but the best for their Dawg's, the C's is the way to go. Especially considering the only other shortshifter out currently is the B&M and various other nockoffs that are copies of the B&M...both are which are prone to breaking in half, the C's is the way to go...Darshana S...

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
Ive got a C's as well, cant wait to put it in... Good to hear that you like yours better than others :)

OT, but you wouldnt happen to be able give me a quick run thru of how to install it would you?

·
MKIV intervention needed
3,021 Posts
ive seen the b&m break in half and would never buy one. nice write up. g

·
Super Moderator
10,710 Posts
Darshana,

You'll find that, as the miles go by, the C's just get better and better. If you like it now, you'll absolutely love it with some miles on her. Good luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
I just installed my C's shifter today, and wow, I love it also. Well worth the price, I cant believe I had it sitting here for 2 months and waited so long to install it... I love the way it just "clicks" into gear :D

Very big thank you to Supraman16, he PM'ed me a step by step guide of how he installed his along with his telephone number if I ran into any problems... It made the install a cakewalk, took me 40 minutes from rolling the car up onto the ramps til pulling out of the driveway on a test drive. Thanks for your help!

-Chris

·
Premium Member
4,417 Posts
KenHenderson said:
Darshana,

You'll find that, as the miles go by, the C's just get better and better. If you like it now, you'll absolutely love it with some miles on her. Good luck.

Ken.
Agreed - mine has gotten even better in the few weeks that I've had mine.

·
Premium Member
2,797 Posts
Great write up, where did u get the 'BD" shifter?

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
SupraSpeedMKIV: Chris, I'm glad I could help. Enjoy the shifter...

94Silver: I got the BD Shifter a long time ago...back in the day when Bryce Danna (the guy who made the BD Shifter) still had his Dawg and when it was believed that the 2JZ couldn't hold more than 600 HP on the stock internals. Makes you think on how far we've come...

Below is a pic of the C's shifter installed in my car. I also polished it to match my VeilSide Shift Knob. I think it came out pretty damn sweet :bigthumb: It is definately getting better as time goes on...

·
Registered
745 Posts
SupraSpeedMKIV said:
I just installed my C's shifter today, and wow, I love it also. Well worth the price, I cant believe I had it sitting here for 2 months and waited so long to install it... I love the way it just "clicks" into gear :D
I agree whole-heartedly. Shifts are crisp and shorter than my 93-95 shifter. Highly recommended.

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
I just installed my C's short shifter kit today and I must concur with everything that has been said about it. It IS really worth the hype and worth the money. If anyone of you guys ever driven a Honda S2000, thats what I can compare it to; the stock S2k shifter. It IS JUST ABOUT THAT SHORT and crisp. Compared to my buddie's B&M which is very notchy, this blows the B&M ouf ot he water. I highly recommend it to ANY year supra, even pre 97-98s.

:bigthumb:

·
656 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Just a update...the C's is getting better and better as time goes on. It is definately smoother than my BD Shifter, and shorter. On a side note, I unbolted the reverse lockout plate to double check that everything was okay with the shifter install that I did (I tend to do that with all my installations after a little while to make sure everything is okay) and I found that one of the stock O Rings around the stock ball joint cradle was broken and protruding out into the shift path of 1st to 2nd...this would probably explain why my 1st to 2nd shift was not as smooth. But anyway, just a suggestion, for those who have recently installed the shifter with the old O Rings, double check after a little while to make sure they haven't gotten broken during the install of the new shifter. Also, for those who want to polish their C's shifter, it's pretty simple...all you need is some good metal polish (I used Blue Magic Metal Polish) a rag, and a little elbow grease...Darshana S...

·
Registered
2,705 Posts
Supraman16 said:
Just a update...the C's is getting better and better as time goes on. It is definately smoother than my BD Shifter, and shorter. On a side note, I unbolted the reverse lockout plate to double check that everything was okay with the shifter install that I did (I tend to do that with all my installations after a little while to make sure everything is okay) and I found that one of the stock O Rings around the stock ball joint cradle was broken and protruding out into the shift path of 1st to 2nd...this would probably explain why my 1st to 2nd shift was not as smooth. But anyway, just a suggestion, for those who have recently installed the shifter with the old O Rings, double check after a little while to make sure they haven't gotten broken during the install of the new shifter. Also, for those who want to polish their C's shifter, it's pretty simple...all you need is some good metal polish (I used Blue Magic Metal Polish) a rag, and a little elbow grease...Darshana S...

Hey Darashan,

Yes i noticed when i uninstalled my stock one that a tooth from the stock old ring broke off, so I'll be making an order with Curt real soon to replace that. It's only going to get better....

-Phu

·
Registered
197 Posts
Lifting this old thread back from the dead:)

I'm putting a v160 in my MKIII and wondering if I miss some parts. I only have what comes with the C´s shortshifter, then the aluminium linkage between the gearbox and shifter and the metal part that is mounted on the shifter and changes gears.
Do I need more parts than this? Do I need the white part in this picture?:

1 - 20 of 42 Posts