Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What was the charge, and who did you go thru to get this done? When I say shot peened, I don't mean cleaned. I'm talking the stress relieving process.

·
Impeller Head
2,832 Posts
Alan, there's a place here in WA called AEROMAC that does it for ~50 dollars a set. They do mostly airplane stuff. I'd also give Cunningham rods a call and talk to Greg. I'm assuming they send their rods out for shotpeening anyway and might be able to help you. Good Luck!!--Ron

W

·
0 Posts
correct me if im wrong but dont they need resized too?? so how could you send them out when they wouldnt know what size to make them

·
On the edge of adhesion..
942 Posts
Try Top End Performance, I think all you have to do is send your rods to them and they will send them back completely done over. These guys seem to know the 7M very well. Check out the link, there web-page isn't the best but it has contact info on it and I know they do shot peening there.

http://www.racetep.com/about.html

Khris

·
LEADED FUEL ONLY
2,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ron- good idea. I'll do some websearching on this WA company later tonight. Also I agree with you on TEP.

Woooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooosh :) - I only want them shot peened. My shop will do the resizing and honing of the big end, and new bushings in the small end.

Thanks guys!!

·
Moderator, Aight Peace
6,130 Posts
So when rods are shot peened are new bearings required ? aight peace

·
Registered
144 Posts
shot peened has nothing to do with bearing size..

what they do is basically a proces of shooting lead or shot at the rods to crush the outer layer down and harden the metal that has nothing to do with bearing sizes..

now just reconditioning the rods is usually the same time they shot peen cause they are geting rebuilt so that is why some people associate new bearings with rods getting shot peened...

also might want to think about cryo treatment if your thinking about shot peening the rods..

Bill

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
MotoFool said:

what they do is basically a proces of shooting lead or shot at the rods to crush the outer layer down and harden the metal that has nothing to do with bearing sizes..

Bill
It doesn't increase the harness of the surface at all, it just produces a residual compressive stress on the surface that will increase the fatigue strength of the part. The ultimate and yield strengths of the part WILL NOT be increased. Usually, this will cause the part to twist to some extent, so pulling a few tenths off the big end is not a bad idea if you have confidence in the fixture and equipment your machine shop is using.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
turbotoy said:
It doesn't increase the harness of the surface at all, it just produces a residual compressive stress on the surface that will increase the fatigue strength of the part. The ultimate and yield strengths of the part WILL NOT be increased. Usually, this will cause the part to twist to some extent, so pulling a few tenths off the big end is not a bad idea if you have confidence in the fixture and equipment your machine shop is using.
you beat me to it...shot peening also reduces surface stresses through the reduction of surface flaws....sort of like a rough polishing.

·
Registered
318 Posts
http://www.nationalpeening.com/

I sent mine to their SC location and they had a very quick turnaround. I think they were about $80 bucks or something. Anyway, they literally peen thousands of rods for all different kinds of race teams and rod manufactures. They mask the journal surfaces and peen to some accepted ANSI standard. They really know their s. I then had my local shop resize and put in new hardware.

Dale H
87T

·
Registered
1,719 Posts
There is deburring of the rod also...this is what I had done in addition to shot peening...
there are two ridges on the rod that you can afford to have removed. Fractures tend to start there...also, saves weight without changing structural integrity...
I payed 90 for shot peening, deburring, magnafluxing and redoing the crank end to be circular (reconditioned)....
I have pics if someone wants to host...

·
greasemonkey
3,123 Posts
send the pics to me and ill host them. btw, where did you get them done that cheap?
william

B

·
0 Posts
I payed $15 a rod to get em shot-peened, polished, and resized for the ARP rod bolts. It was a local shop.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts