Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
REVTECHRACING.COM
2,675 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have to change my timing belt due to wear/age and many have told me to buy a upgraded harmonic balancer[boost logic,etc] while putting in the new stock timing belt or else i will run into issues with my power.true/false??estimated labor to pay for timimg belt install and or balancer?

·
Registered
249 Posts
Well they have been known to come apart (stock balancer) with higher HP cars but it isn't a definent thing that is going to happen. I did change mine (Boostlogic) since I've been working on my NA-T project just since I already have the car torn part way apart. If you have the money it would help for at least a piece of mind.

My 2 cents

B.Kidd

·
SupraForums Manufacturer
3,333 Posts
Changing the crank pulley out is usually a good idea when you are getting some age and miles on the car. Toyota should include our pulley in the 60k service:).

B

·
0 Posts
BL is nice since it is SFI approved, although they do not come with the sticker to veryify.

But truthfully, if your balancer is not cracked or on its way to cracking there is no reason to change it. Other than needing an SFI approved pulley for track purposes.

B

·
0 Posts
brian_k03 said:
i heard it was a bad idea to swap out our balancer with aftermarket balancers.
Its a bad idea to swap out the stock balancer for an undamped version (ie. Unorthodox Racing underdrive pulley). The BL unit is damped and is actually better than the stock when it comes to construction. I have it on my own car and love it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts