Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently, I noticed that shifting from 2nd to 3rd feels a bit odd. I don't know exactly how to describe it, but it feels a lot more "rough" than shifting into any other gear. It doesn't exactly feel like its grinding though. It doesn't do this when shifting from 4th to 3rd, but occaisonally from 3rd to 4th. I'll probably find a mechanic that will check it out personally, but if anyone can provide some insight, thanks.

SonGohanX
97 5 spd NA Supra
~57k miles
Custom Intake
Borla Exhaust

·
ABM
497 Posts
you might just need gear oil to lube those gears. i had the same prob and my tranny is running just fine now.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
could you give me some more information on this? is it a simple thing to do? how much would a shop charge to do it? n stuff...

Thanks in advance

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Go to a Mobil station and tell them you want a Synthetic Transmission Oil change. $39.95. Tell them to do the diff at the same time.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I've heard you shouldn't use synthetic oil in the supra's tranny. It's fine for the diff, though.

Red Line 75W90 Synthetic Gear Oil for the Differential.

Toyota T4 for the transmission.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think that's only for the 6 speed, made by Getrag. The 5-speed are the same as the MKIII.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The MKIII 5 speed is a R154 gearbox the MKIV 5 speed is a W58. they are not the same at all.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
The W58 was used in the MKIII NA, the R154 in the MKIII turbo. Although the W58 and R154 transmissions are different, except for some minor tweaking, the W58 is the same in both the MKIII and MKIV. The MKIV Supra six-speed uses a Getrag/Toyota 223, which should use only the approved lubricant, Dexron D21065, which is actually an ATF.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts