Supra Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
275 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey

The motor on my car is about to reach it's end. I wanted to know opinions if I should build my engine up with forged pistons and aftermarket connectiong rods or should I just go with buying a new shortblock. I am only planning to add a small single turbo in the future hoping to make 470-500rwhp. The stock internals are good enough for this but because of all the talk about the new shortblocks being not as well made as the original shortblocks, I have some doubts. Also my question is which would be cheaper to do both parts and labor combined. Any help on prices im looking at will be helpful. Thanks in advance for the responses.

·
Banned
4,144 Posts
May want to sesrch on this because the topic is covered in depth once a month, but you can buy 3 shortblocks for the price of one built motor.

Eric

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
If you have the few extra dollars now to build a motor, build one. You can buy 3 short blocks for the price of one built motor but if you have to pay for labor to repair and replace a motor 3 times... That's going to be WAY more money.

·
Premium Member
2,597 Posts
STOP DOUBLE POSTING... Warning #1

Adam

·
MKIV owner since 1996
2,869 Posts
Holy shit Ryan! 9.68 @ 137!, that car is hooking and for a 6 speed, damn! What wheel / tire combo are you running? any suspension mods?

Nice one

Adam

·
Former Moderator
3,785 Posts
Building an engine could be a good idea if you have the time and money. Who knows, maybe you'll get addicted to the top-end rush and always want more power. That's where the built engine might come handy.

-Olivier

·
Banned
1,981 Posts
AdamGamz said:
Holy shit Ryan! 9.68 @ 137!, that car is hooking and for a 6 speed, damn! What wheel / tire combo are you running? any suspension mods?

Nice one

Adam
That run was done on CCW drag package. Ryan is also running Tein coilovers.

·
19in 795R HRE's FTW....
6,305 Posts
That is correct, 26x11.5x16 ET Streets. Adam, the video is on my site if you want to see it. I blew off my IC pipe at the 1000ft mark and coasted to the end. Judging from previous passes that day I would have gone 146-147 and probably a 9.5...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts