Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is it a bad idea to buy a non running 1997 supra that has been sitting for a few years? Is it cheaper to fix one that isn't running or is it cheaper just to buy one that is running?

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Without any other details it's impossible to tell you. Personally I would strongly recommend buying an already nice and good-running Supra even if it costs a bit more. It is astonishingly easy to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars finding replacement parts if the car is a basket case.

·
Registered
779 Posts
Without any other details it's impossible to tell you. Personally I would strongly recommend buying an already nice and good-running Supra even if it costs a bit more. It is astonishingly easy to spend thousands upon thousands of dollars finding replacement parts if the car is a basket case.
listen to him!
Listen to me. If you are not a Supra expert and do not already know where to source exactly what you need and have a plan on how to complete the car, do not, do not under any circumstances buy a non running Supra.
You’ve been warned twice 😂

·
Administrator
9,190 Posts
Is it a bad idea to buy a non running 1997 supra that has been sitting for a few years? Is it cheaper to fix one that isn't running or is it cheaper just to buy one that is running?
It's a terrible idea...just let me know where to find this 97 so I can relieve the burden.

·
Registered
4,692 Posts
Horrible idea to buy one that is not running. Especially if it has been sitting a few years which presents another whole set of issues. The only type of buyer that could handle that is someone with many years of experience working on Supras.

Al

·
Registered
105 Posts
I spent over 15k in repairs for a Supra that I thought was in good condition. I’ll admit my lack of experience as well played a role. Luckily my family owns a body shop, if not it would have been 25k in repairs easily.

·
*God Bless the USA*
423 Posts
Depends. Lets see pictures of the body, interior and engine bay.

·
Registered
278 Posts
DONT DO IT !!!!! THIS HT EHE FIFTH OR SIXTH WARNING.. I REPEAT DONT DO IT.. i got a non running supra found it on craigslist... I didn't care if it was running or not... now i am 12k in have driven the car maybe twelve hundred miles in the 3 years i have had it, the res had been down time... don't do it you have been warned!!!

·
Registered
1 Posts
Depends. We def need more details to help you. But, part of the fun is building the car the way you want, but that can be very expensive and totally fine if you have the money. If you’re not sure you can afford to fix the issues, spend a little more for a working one so you don’t go broke then have the heartbreak of selling the car anyway. If you’re not sure what it needs, find a tech you trust and pay them to check out the car and give you an idea of the work needed.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Depends. We def need more details to help you. But, part of the fun is building the car the way you want, but that can be very expensive and totally fine if you have the money. If you’re not sure you can afford to fix the issues, spend a little more for a working one so you don’t go broke then have the heartbreak of selling the car anyway. If you’re not sure what it needs, find a tech you trust and pay them to check out the car and give you an idea of the work needed.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Only buy it if you know Supras and have the mechanical knowhow to do most repairs. At the very least have a good Supra technician look it over first.

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Nothing is cheap about a Supra. Nothing. At. All.

Seriously.

Nothing wrong with enjoying and appreciating a good value, or loving a good cheap car, I have a long list of cars over the years that fit these characteristics nicely. My Supras have rarely fit those characteristics though. ;)

Reactions: Kamkat21
1 - 20 of 23 Posts