Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, my dad bought a 1989 Supra Turbo Auto a couple of weeks ago. He wants to sell it because of a noise coming from the engine. Its not a knocking noise or anything. He bought it for 2 grand and i am thinking about buying it and fixing it up. The exterior is mint besides a dent in the right rear fender. The interior is in very good condition as well. it has approx 112k miles on it. I am thinking about buying it for 2 grand and putting some work into it. I know a guy who will do all the body work for me, but i would either like to buy a new engine or rebuild it. also, how would i go about going from auto to standard. I am going to put alot of money into this car if i do buy it. if u could tell me how much it usually cost to re-build and to do a conversion that would be great. I am 16 years old and have quite a bit of money i have saved up to work on this car. should i do it or not?

·
0 Posts
hell yeah buy it!!!

but remember, auto is faster. Contrary to popular belief. dont listen to the honda boys, buz 5 speed hondas are quiker then auto hondas. Toyota MKIII and MKIV are known for fast ass autos. BUT IT MANG. if you want to sell it, let me know, i will be interested in buying or possible trade for 5 speed

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
Auto is faster? I believe someone needs to put down the pipe...:p...

Auto supes are badass, though...brake boosting owns!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ya,...My Dad was telling me that auto is faster. I know a little bit about cars, but no where near what I want to know. I know you guys are probably tired of explaining all this new stuff to people like me but please explain about the auto being faster.

I want standard because I want to hear the turbo and the BOV, and I am guessing its harder to hear in the auto because the RPMS arn't going up as high. Now when I said turbo and BOV, obviously I do not mean stock. I am thinking if I buy this; about putting a Sound Performance Turbo with a HKS SS BOV. I still would like to know a cost on the conversion if anyone knows.

You said you would trade....Have any info. on your Supra?

Any Advice/Help would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
552 Posts
Go for it dude. Im doing the same thing, rebuilding the engine and learning at the same time. Plus you cant go wrong for 2,000 bucks with a car with this much potential.

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
makenzie71 said:
Auto is faster? I believe someone needs to put down the pipe...:p...
Actually, auto turbo is more consistent in the 1/4 mile and it is a bit quicker because the throttle plate doesnt close inbetween shifts instead of in a standard turbo car where you have to build the boost again once you shift...

·
Registered
590 Posts
If youve got the money, go for the rebuild. Its so much more reliable then buying a used motor. Price will be determined by how much power you want to put down. What turbo, pistons, rods, valves, etc. I remember a post not too long ago that had a bunch of prices guys spent in their engine build. It ranged from stock internals to the highest dollar pieces you can find.

Also your transmission choice should really be dependant on what you want to do with the car. If your gonna be a hard core drag racer, stay with the auto and get it upgraded down the road. If your going to do other stuff then a manual conversion might not be a bad idea. I have an auto and I was seriously thinking about swapping the tranny. The auto has really grown on me though. It definitely has its advantages. This is really up to you, but be forewarned its not a simple task.

·
on vacation
3,062 Posts
JSupra88T said:
Actually, auto turbo is more consistent in the 1/4 mile and it is a bit quicker because the throttle plate doesnt close inbetween shifts instead of in a standard turbo car where you have to build the boost again once you shift...
In the 1/4? So? Why do 3/4 of the people here act like 1/4 mile racing is the ONLY kind of racing?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Damn, you guys respond fast. Well, I just may go and buy it. The first thing I am going to do is sell my ATV and buy new tires/rims for it because it needs them. Then I am going to begin working on it. I really don't wanna do any crazy internal motor work. The the things I plan on doing are as followed...

1. Tires
2. Rims (BLACK) or (CHROME)
3. Paint (RED)
5. All Leather
6. System
7. Turbo
8. Clutch
9. BOV
10. Intercooler
11. Exhaust/ Downpipe
12. Some other things that I can not thing of right now. Give me some suggestions.

What would I possible need to get near like 350-400 HP?

·
i <3 fitness chicks
1,585 Posts
makenzie71 said:
In the 1/4? So? Why do 3/4 of the people here act like 1/4 mile racing is the ONLY kind of racing?
LOL ok pal re-read my post and point out to me where i said 1/4 mile racing is the ONLY type of racing..... :rolleyes:

·
Registered
590 Posts
Wel if you dont want to get much over 350, then you can get out fairly cheap. You can basically reuse the stock internals. There good for that sort of power unless they are damagaed. You can also get an upgraded ct-26. From there just performance parts like exhaust and IC pipes and youll have a nice bit of power. Check into prices around your area of a repuatable mechanic and machine shops that can do the work for you. This is if your not going to. Machine work will be the majority of your cost. Do some price hunting around the net and your town and you can probably get a pretty good idea of what price range youll be looking at.

·
Registered
451 Posts
search is a good idea...
there is a thread that ourlines the upgrades to the engine that will take you where you want to be.
You should also check how much HP the auto will handle before you need to upgrade it.

Oh, I dont think you should buy it if you want a 5 speed, from what I have read the swap is a royal PIA.

Good luck.

·
0 Posts
my car is in pristine condition, and has a rebuilt motor with 40k on it 1 owner. So if you want to start fresh with mine, ill need your cash plus some cash, i dont think you would want to do that. But then again u will be riding in a mint supra 5speed, and i will have my auto......we'll see.

Just a note of advice, these cars can be aggravating due to there age and related problems they have. So just be prepared for a long haul, and a whole lot of money spending.....peace mang

1 - 15 of 15 Posts