Supra Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

Well heres the story. I have a MKIII and quite frankly im sick of it. this is my 3rd motor thats in the car now and alot of work. Also loads of money is into now. It just feels like a driving a ticking rod-knock bomb. Always having the fear of getting rod knock. Well, ive been looking around and i want to get a MKIV. I hear that the 2JZ has forged everything, balanced, stock MHG and some other things. Is there any problems with these cars liek the MKIII family has bad oil pickup so we get rod-knock. Just feeling it out. Any info would be cool or words of encouragment.

Thanks,

TomZ.

·
To the MSB BAtman!
1,689 Posts
im not going to be the common mk4 devil and tell you to ditch the mk3 but my mk4 doesnt leak and it has none of the problems you are mentioning. And my motor just turned 222,000 miles. perfect compression and leak down numbers and puts down a healthy 410 hp. so that's my car. you make the decision.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
yea all i need to do is find one out here in PA. I cant find anything.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would do that but the fab work and what not is not worth it to me. I put to much work into this car as it is. I like the new body style better anyway :) I really want to 6-spd and a targa again. Is there any problems with the 2J that sticks out or is it as godly as everyone makes it to be??

tom

·
To the MSB BAtman!
1,689 Posts
lol it isnt godly but you said it yourself "forged everything". aslong as you take car of it with normaly like other mk4s you will be perfectly fine. make sure to get a compression test when you are searching for your mk4. not a good thing to pick up a car tha tno one else has cared for. you might have to venture out of your bounderies where you live to get the right one for the right price.

·
FUCK JDM
3,932 Posts
No problems except for Excessive Tire Wear... LoL

only normal maintanence so far for me, and ive had mine since 01, you might get a wheel bearing problem, i replaced one of mine when i first bought it, been fine since

·
I have auto ADD.
4,567 Posts
preluder3084 said:
I would do that but the fab work and what not is not worth it to me. I put to much work into this car as it is. I like the new body style better anyway :) I really want to 6-spd and a targa again. Is there any problems with the 2J that sticks out or is it as godly as everyone makes it to be??

tom
lol there's no fab work needed to drop a 1jz in. if you've done a 7m swap, you can do a 1jz swap. it sounds like you want a mkiv though, so get one.

·
ur moms favourite
1,404 Posts
It seems toyota learnt a lot from the M series engines. ie "this is how NOT to build an engine" lol

Seriously though, there are no factory 'flaws' in the jz engines like there were in the M's. Theyre really well built/designed. The valve seals do go bad at about 90,000 miles, but thats hardly worth noting.

·
aKa Blk96SupraTT
3,866 Posts
valve seals is not even a problem. something a shop can fix for under $1k. Or if you know what your doing you can do it yourself, just might take a few days to do it though. The 2JZ is bulletproof. What other engine out there is gonna give you over 700hp on a stock botton end?

Bottom line is do you want a MKIV ? because the engine dont even seem like its the issue anymore. you just finally realize that the 7M is crap verses the 2J. If you can find one and afford one i say go for it and more power to you.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts