Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts
L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im finding a few deals on tt supras but what should i get and what is faster> 6spd or auto?? cause i can get an auto tt '94 with 61k miles but i like stick but what you guys think?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've actually read that draggers prefer the auto. Not me though.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
if u have to ask. make sure u know why u are buying the car.
what your plans for it are, etc. daily driver? or race car? drag or road?

and if u have never driven (at the least) a 5spd car before..i wouldnt bother asking.

~k.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I dont know why these guys are being such pricks, but I'll give you a straight answer. I was hoping a more experience owner would give you a more specific answer than I could provide.

There are some that claim the auto is just as fast if not faster than the manual trannys on the straight runs. Sounds crazy to me but this has been proven possible by Car & Driver during the Crapmaro and Fireturd tests where the automatics edged out the 6 spds. It had something to do with a better torque ratio on the start. If you are a less initiated driver and just want a hot car to cruise around in then the auto will be just fine.

If you intend on becoming an sports car enthusiast of any kind then you are better off with a manual tranny because the driver involvement provides greater driving gratification. Also you can select how you choose to apply your power using either lower end torque or higher RPM's to squirt out of the turns. You may eventually find the automtic defficient here.

A manual on average weights 35-80 lbs less than an auto. It may not sound like much but it all adds up.

I'd say most who get such a car woth automatics eventually wish they had a manual.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i wasnt tryin to sound like a prick. :(

i basically said what u just said...in less words.

~k.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kvxx said:
i wasnt tryin to sound like a prick. :(

i basically said what u just said...in less words.

~k.
Cool. No hard feelings I hope. I'm tired of car novices getting abused on this forum. Its ridiculous. This is supposed to be a Supra community for all. I was driving sports cars probably before most of these guys could wipe their own noses.

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
finnaly a nice person helps me :) im new to supras but i know how to drive stick also. just that no one can answer my simple questions?? anyway thanks for your input im staying with stick cause "Real Men Drive Stick" and my other quote it "NO stick No Dick"
later

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Basically, it comes down to your driving needs.. I REALLY like to drag-race..

I think auto-x is more fun, but far more expensive, with tires/brakes/wreaks being more likely...

But, back to the diff between the two, under the two styles of driving...

1st.. Drag-race.. If you put an automatic, and a manual against each other, the manual "should" be faster up untill traction, or turbo lag becomes too much of an issue... Basically on a 700RWHP car, the automatic will (Almost) always win. It can apply the power better, for a strong launch, with little or no wheel-spin. Plus, you keep your foot planted for the entire 1/4 mile (or more..) and have continuous pull... With the manual tranny, you will have to have a very fine balance between reving it high enough to get turbo spool, Applying the clutch withought spinning too much, or bogging it down, and killing your 60' times.. You shift 4 times and have NO forward acceleration while shifting.. No matter how fast you can shift, you cannot beat a built automatic.

2nd.. Auto-x.. (Or canyon carving, etc, etc..) This becomes more of a personal prefference type of thing.. A built automatic with lock-up converter, and GOOD tranny cooler should do fine in an auto-x/road-race situation, but doesn't give you the exact controll of gears that the manual would...

3rd.. Street.. Again.. personal preff.. I know that when I had a manual with a race clutch, I'd hate a cross-town drive with about 50 stops on the way, because your clutch-leg gets tired.. An auto is nice, because you just move along.. no muss, no fuss, but then again.. no real manual shifting fun.. I like both for the different reasons, but I'll have an auto for drag-race from now on.

Disclaimer: the 700 rwhp mentioned above means that the auto will have about 50-75 MORE HP at the crank, because auto trannies are power hungry...

On slicks.. your RWHP numbers would have to be higher for the auto to stand out as much, but on street tires, the auto should be faster even at the 550 HP level..

Hope that helps more.. I personally LOVE a 6-speed in the mountains at about 120mph..

·
Registered
72 Posts
Man.. I don't like you.. you ask for people's help on their opinion on stick/auto and afterwards you gotta say that we auto supra owners got no dicks? shit...

L

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hye sorry but umm it what the girls tell me. not that auto guys cant get girls jsut the ones i get love guys with stick

·
Closest thing to a Supra
89 Posts
Girls know dick. Think about it.

I

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The auto is quicker off the line but would lose out to the 6sp when the car is in motion.
The auto has a very fast 1-2(faster than the stick), but 2-3 and you're out of the power band and this is where the 6spd, with it's close ratios, will be pulling on ya.

·
Registered
30 Posts
When the day comes when you own a Supra that has to have a high clamping force with a racing puck clutch, you'll probably wish you bought the autmatic.

On Superhonda.org, there was a very informative article about performance automatics. Tell me and I'll post a link up if it's still there.

Keep in mind that built automatics are fast, and can withstand the massive torque of heavily modded Supra in a daily driven situation.
For straight out drag racing, an automatic is probably a better choice. Once you get all the upgrades you want on the engine, stick a torque converter in that stalls at full boost (Don't forget a cooler and a couple clutch pack upgrades). With the torque multiplication of the converter at low speeds you can do doughnuts, and stuff.
With the right modifications, an autmatic could shift more consistently, keep the car at or around full boost, and basically, be faster.

I'm lazy, and if I were the Sultan of Brunei, or Bill Gates, I'd get a BPU 6-speed, and a 800 RWHP auto.

As for auto-x, or people who won't actually drive a high-HP supra around every day, or if you just want the fun of rowing that trusty ol' six-speed gearbox, then get the manual.

·
Boosted NA
246 Posts
go with a stick

much more fun and for some reason get a little more respect as a racer. Dont get me wrong my first two cars (taurus and Accord) were Auto, great for cruisin but lacking a lil bit when racing so i doubt i'll go back 2 auto for a while. Peace

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
auto's are said to be faster. . .but real men drive manual's

·
Registered
3,636 Posts
What will you use it for?

If you just want to BPU it and drive around town then either will work. Road racing would be easier with a stick and some just like the feeling of control they get from a stick. A stick might also yiel;d a little better mileage.

For all out drag racing the auto is going to be better. Boost won't fall off between shifts hardly at all and an auto won't miss a shift. However - price out what a BUILT auto will cost. Compare that with what a good clutch install costs. Look around at the numbers of people who have melted down automatics :eek: Some of the built autos cost a couple of grand and if you push enough power you may have to go through a couople of them. Oh yeah, torque converters aren't cheap either and can go away much like a clutch does if it's not built rock solid. Not many people making built autos for the Supra and Level 10 who was apparently a biggie is being sued....

I recently went through this same problem. I won't be drag racing my car regularly and I've driven built auto cars before (fun!). The cost of a built auto for the Supra along with the lesser feeling of control (better than other OEM autos though I'm told) led me to a stick. Since I expect to surpass what a stock OEM Supra auto can handle this seemed to make sense.

Yes, sticks are harder to find and more expensive too but for me I was willing to pay for that. In traffic I'll deal with it - most everything I've owned has been a stick anyway. The Supra 6speed is pretty tough but it's also pricey if it breaks so remember that too.

In the end it's up to you. How you intend to use the car should help guide you. If you buy an auto and want a stick later on that swap can be done, pricey mind you, but it can be done. You could probably go auto from a stick too but I'm not sure how popular that swap is.

Good Luck!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
6 speeds in my opinion are alot better for many reasons, first and foremost Supras are fun cars to drive, I think that driving a stick is alot funner than driving an automatic. Yes if you're car is going to be a drag only car then an automatic with a torque conv ect. is what you want. But in my opinion there isn't much better things in the world then shifting and hearing that lound pssssshhhhhh!!!

1 - 20 of 45 Posts