Supra Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, im looking to buy a Supra but I have not ever drove a RWD only FWD and i am only 14 but i wont be doing any drving for a while so mostly tuning and AM(after market) parts and then imma start getting used to the Supra once I get my permit, then hopefully i won't kill myself at the age of 16 cuz i know the supras a beast, so should i go with the Supra or find another car?:( ?

·
4,109 Posts
Another car. Or if you must have a Supra, get yourself an NA then wortk your way up to a TT. High powered RWD and FWD are nothing alike driving-wise

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
so i shouldnt get a supra even though i would be practicing with my dad a lot when i am 15?

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
DO NOT, under any circumstances get a Supra. You need to get some experience under your belt first. Practicing with your parents will not prepare you. Driving on your own for 4-5 years will.

Start with something more reasonable. Get some with maybe 100-180 HP to drive for a bit. Work your way up.

BTW, it seems from your post that you are suggesting that you would modify the car before being able to drive it. I would advise against this even more so than buying the car, as in that case you most likely would kill yourself and then your parents would be sad :(

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
i know Supras are monsters and all but i wll be driving it a lot so i can get used to it and i dont wanna go N/A and then TT cuz then i aint making a lot of HP as i should be getting

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
but see i mean, i will be driving it a lot and i have a friend getting a RX-7 and i have another on who drove a altima for 2 years and then get a RX-7, so i mean i prolly might do road racing with my friend up in Wisconsin, but as soon as i get my permit i will be driving it and getting usedt o turns and such and i know that it has a lot of power so i wouldnt be Stepping on the gas and going out of control..:eek:

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
You are 14, you don't need a lot of HP. Neither does a 16 year old.

and until you have A LOT of real world expereince, you can practice till your hands bleed, it won't prepare you. Remeber, RWD cars have a target market of people over 25. There's also a reason why insurance companies don't like to insure people under 25 on sports cars.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
then how come people under 25 get supras and they do fine? like my friend who got a RX-7 and hes only 18?

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
and + i might be doing some tuning but not soo much horsepower yet, i mostly cocentratin on my handling and skills and might take driving school...

·
Registered
372 Posts
Driving a lot will not make a difference. The thing most people dont think about is how you react in an emergency situation. When emergencies happen, it's years of experience that help you to make correct judgements, simply driving a lot under controlled circumstances will not help.

For example, imagine you come up to a stop sign where you can only turn left or right. Your vision to your left is impaired by a hill, an illegally parked car, you name it. You believe it is clear, and you begin pulling out, and suddenly when you are already in the road, you see a car coming out of the blind spot right towards you. What do you do?

Veteran drivers would know to give it 3/4 gas and automatically be prepared to correct oversteer. Young kids panic, and mash the peddle.

If you were driving in a dodge neon, you'd be fine. The tires would spin a little, you'd launch forward and complete your turn hopefully without incident.

Do so in a TT, and you'd likely start spinning the rears and the car would nail your rear end because you couldn't get out of the way in time, or even if it did grip in time, you'd likely do a 180 and run right off the other side of the road.

These are in dry conditions too. Imagine this scenario in the rain. Start with cars that are easier to correct mistakes (less hp). It takes quite a few mistakes under your belt to become an experienced driver, and we've all made them.

I know I wouldn't want to see you get hurt, or for another Supra to get smashed up. I don't care how careful people are, everyone makes mistakes, and you may be able to control your own actions, but not the other maniacs on the road.

·
Registered
1,532 Posts
JuSt8UrV8 said:
then how come people under 25 get supras and they do fine? like my friend who got a RX-7 and hes only 18?
Although I don't necessarily agree with him having the car (most 18yo I know would kill themselves in one), an average 18yo is a lot more experienced and thus better prepared to handle a high HP, RWD monster than a 16year old. I have the feeling though, that the reason he hasn't crashed the car is probably more luck than skill.

I'm sure there is some 16 year old kid out there driving around a brand new Ferrari or Lambo that his parents bought him, but it doesn't mean he is capable of driving it, just that he can afford it.

·
PHR Powered Pimp Moderator
1,212 Posts
No offense to anyone but i think if you have your mind set on getting the supra then get it. As far as the mods thats something to wait on, you'll be suprised how much power a stock tt supra has. When and if you get a supra take it slow at first you dont want to mash on the throttle and wrap it around a post the first week you drive the car. Whatever you do good luck.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Let me tell ya a little story...

I got my supra at 18. Not even having the car an hour taking a turn the turbo spooled up and I ended up doing a 720 in the middle of a busy road... I could have easily killed my car or myself!

Honestly I think of myself to be a good driver... but if you are not experienced with cars enough you will get into trouble.

Please be carefull!!!

all of my previous cars were FWD with no more than 180HP

take what i just said with a grain of salt... just something to think about.

Sorry for the rambling.

Rob
'95 TT BPU

·
Registered
372 Posts
At the very least, if you insist on driving a Supra TT and you are under the age of 19, then at least sign up for an emergency/safety driving course in your area. They teach you emergency meneuvers, controlling slides, emergency braking, and driving defensively. Skip barber provides an excellent course and it would really help you (maybe even save your life).

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
yea i know thnx for all the help on my decision, but i think i might get the supra and do that emergency driving school thingy you guys told me about i mean i have my mind set on the supra, so i might as well be a good defense driver and take lessons am i not right?:(

·
Registered
110 Posts
I dont think its so much of being a defensive drive, more as being able to gain control of your 320+hp car when it is fishtailing, spinning etc...

I was the same way you were when I was 16 but I had to progress in my cars just like most everyone here...

Eclipse then
3000gt then
Supra now

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Mods, please institute an age limit of at least the legal driving age. There's no time to amuse junior high kids talking out loud about living out their post Xmas wetdreams.

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Am i complaining about anything? :wtf: i am actually listning to you guys, but here leme put it this way, think of your favorite car in the world and you can have it if you wanted it, would you give that up for nasty ass car your grandma drove?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.