Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to decide if I should go single turbo or if I should go with the GT28 Hybrid Stock turbo upgrade... I am mostly BPU... Looking for around 500-600whp... If I went single what else would I have to upgrade? Clutch??? Fuel??? Thanks for all the information...

·
Hardtopper
13,043 Posts
You are asking a very basic question which could be answered by searching the forums. But to answer your question, it will be more cost effective to go with a small single (67) for those power levels. You will need to look into upgrading the fuel, clutch setup, and fuel management.

·
Boost Creep
3,489 Posts
500whp can be achieved with a T61, and you will get great spool still. You could even keep the stock denso pump at that level, but your going to need injectors.

Decide what you want for power, build there. Stock clutch is fine at 500, but it would help if you had an aftermarket pressure plate AT LEAST.

·
Registered
653 Posts
i would stick with a small single if you are looking for that amount of power. Power house makes pretty good single turbo kits

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
am trying to stay away from spray... I was wondering about how you guys felt about the bolt on kits... I know that PHR makes a good one but how about Sound Performance or Boost logic... Should I just buy the individual pieces or should I just buy a kit... Also I am trying to get something that later on down the road I can use and upgrade again... Thanks for all the help...

·
Registered
1,119 Posts
small single and u can make 500rwhp on the 550cc injectors, dont get greedy

·
Slingin pole
1,975 Posts
I am trying to decide if I should go single turbo or if I should go with the GT28 Hybrid Stock turbo upgrade... I am mostly BPU... Looking for around 500-600whp... If I went single what else would I have to upgrade? Clutch??? Fuel??? Thanks for all the information...
hybrid twins and my intercooler piping

·
Registered
456 Posts
But to answer your question, it will be more cost effective to go with a small single (67) for those power levels. You will need to look into upgrading the fuel, clutch setup, and fuel management.
Good call. But I find it funny when people consider the 67 a 'small' single.

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I guess for the Supra it's small...lol

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
personally if it was me I'll go with the GT28 Hybrid Stock turbo upgrade....can't go wrong with a sleeper set-up

·
Banned
2,625 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thats what I was thinking... Anyone hace any experience with this kit... The only thing that was stopping me was future upgrade potential...

·
91TT comin up, 01 s2k
2,664 Posts
Thats what I was thinking... Anyone hace any experience with this kit... The only thing that was stopping me was future upgrade potential...
I've heard a few guys had it....but I havn't seen any dyno sheet or anything.....future upgrade...you have to think that yourself and decide if it's going to happen.......if you're thinking about upgrade in the future might as well get a t71 or t78 and call it a day

·
Registered
456 Posts
Personally, I'd get a well rounded single turbo and call it a day. Something along the lines of a GT35R or S300SX 83/75. Added benefits of a single include increase reliability as there is less complexity, and most importantly, less weight in the nose of the car giving better handling balance.

·
Old School Bruiser
298 Posts
If you're in CA, and passing smog is important to you (visual at least), the Hybrids are the way to go (I know I will when my stockers blow). If smog is not an issue, single FTW.

·
(Rare & Unique)
3,873 Posts
If you are considering more power down the line, i would go single. If you stay at 500/550 tops now, oem fuel can support you. Are you auto/manual ?

·
Banned
2,187 Posts
A 61mm would get you want u want and with earlyass spool. The hybrid twins are good to. Just that i would personally go with the single cause of the difference in sound when spooling, thats about it. If your into the stock look, hybrids FTW. Smog, you just gotta find somewhere who can do it "specially". And your fuel if your usdm TT, will easily hold 500whp, injectors and pump. Just need something to control fuel, simple afc would do.

·
Old School Bruiser
298 Posts
Smog, you just gotta find somewhere who can do it "specially".
That is getting harder and harder to do these days as more and more smog shops are being regularly and heavily audited by the state board (my family owns one too).

Also, if you get popped by a cop and sent to the referee, a single turbo set-up would stick out like a sore thumb under the hood, but the hybrids won't.

At the end of the day if smog isn't a problem, I would personally go single.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts