Supra Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I do some lapping practice at a race track and the Supra's temperature slowly rises to the red zone after several laps. I'm putting out 325 hp and already have a fluidyne radiator. I was thinking the next step was electric fans. What do you guys do to be able to lap continuously?

Will electric fans stress the alternater and prematurely cause it failure? Is a higher output alternater needed?

Also, should I get rid of the ac fans or run them in tandum with the electric fans?

Remember goal is best cooling setup possible.

· you're my boy blue.
687 Posts
you can hook the ac fans up to a switch and have them running whenever you want. about electric fans, i have heard that they dont really cool as well as the stocker, it just give a little hp.

but there are people that will swear they work.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you even hear your stock fan humming? do you think your stock fan clutch is going out? yeah, i can imagine after several laps of pushing the car hard the temps will start to climb. however, i really don't think electric fans will cool any better... if not worse. especially with the kind of racing you do.

why don't you try it and tell us how it performs. i'd actually like to know if the electric fans do better than the stock unit ( assuming your fan clutch is 100%). i'm one of those people who doesn't swear by e-fans. i had a bad experience. others here seem to do fine with e-fans. you'll have to find out if it works for you. good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not to hot on the stock setup.. I just installed the flex-a-lite 210's and they are GREAT! they cool better than the stock by far.. when i was sitting at a stop light before the e-fans the temp would rise almost to the half way marker and now the temp stays 3-4 tick below at all times.. just my .02 but i love mine and they do seem to free up some horse power.. BTW if you decide to keep your stock fan and need a clutch for it mine was in PERFECT condition and i'll sell it to you cheap if you want.. just let me know.. later man ...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Fluidyne and Flex-A-Lite

Get the Fluidyne polished Rad and a FlexALite dual fans and your heating problems will go away. I got them both, best thing I did for my supra.:D

· AKA Muddy
741 Posts
If your car is overheating while moving, electric fans won't make a difference. There is no way any fan can move more air than what is already being pushed through the radiator while you are moving. What is the ratio of water/coolant that you put in your system? You could try water wetter, which will improve the heat exchange capability of your coolant. Is your water pump leaking? That would be a sign that your water pump needs to be replaced.

· Beat the hell outta tu!!
1,137 Posts
I have the Flex-A-Lite BM150 Single 15" electric fan. I really like it. It pushes way more air than the stock fan, helps the engine warm up faster, and can be turned on all the time when racing. There is a modest noticeable power gain, mainly in the low end. I have mine setup to run side by side with the dual stock electric fans.

I have seen the 210's installed on Trent's car and they seem to work really well too. Good luck...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My suggestion to you is:

Yes! go with twin electrics(flexilite B210's)!!
But help them do there job by:

1) Increasing the "EXIT AIR FLOW" from inside your hood by either cutting the rubber engine bay seal located on the rear sill in front of your wipers(just the part in front of the passenger side allowing the rest of the gasket to block the hot air from entering the fresh cabin air intakes) OR mounting a reverse air scoop over and slightly behind your turbo! This will increase the "EXIT" of hot air by 100's of times and therefore increase the posative flow through your rad. It will mwke you fluidyne work 10x's better!!!

2)You could also modify a spare thermostat(always keep a good one for winter) by removing the bridge, spring and stopper unit to allow for a totally free flowing unit!(Don't just remove the thermostat because the flow rate would be so high it would blow through your rad and not have enough time to do any cooling).
That's what I've done with my 88T and it works the charm even without a working clutch fan in place.

P.S.>>> I'm still looking for more ways to "KEEP HER COOL MAN"!!! A cool turbo is a happy one!

· DDDDUUUUUBBBBBZZZZZZZZ
1,937 Posts
I installed my 16" Autozone fan about 3 weeks ago, and finally have the thermostat tuned correctly so they run a couple minutes after I stop the car from hard driving (this is an advantage, the cooled water in the rad. vectors throughout the rest of your cooling system, hopefully extending your engine life. I run the A/C and sit in traffic alot on the stock radiator and haven't had a problem yet. My E-fan has done just as well as the stock fan. Small hp gain too

· Registered
2,061 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.