Supra Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am swapping a 7MGE into my project and was in the process of resealing the engine. I’m new to engine reseal/rebuild. I encountered a slight abrasiveness on the cylinder walls in a couple spots (the parts car has been sitting for about 3 years). I know it would be good to go ahead and hone it and get new rings and bearings, BUT can I get away with not doing it? The head gasket was not blown and I had a mechanic look at the bottom end and said it looked good after removing a rod and main cap. He went to Hawaii before I removed the head. The guy I bought it from said it ran when they parked it.
I’m hoping to daily it for the next couple years while I build a GTE on a stand, but I don’t know how bad is bad when it comes to these things. Images attached.

·
Registered
548 Posts
So the spots themselves look handle-able with a hone, but whomever went at the cylinder wall with a wire brush didn't do you any favors. You should hone and re-ring that and you'll be fine. No need to touch the bearings, and rings are about $35 for a full set. It's a nice learning opportunity and you'll have excellent compression and power. How do the valves look?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply! Valves look ok from what I’m told by the professionals but I’m going to get new seals and inspect them using the TSRM so see if they need adjusting. The bearings were the only thing I was dreading, so that would be nice to avoid them.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yeah, valve stem seals are cheap and worth the time while you have the head off. You'll need a special tool you can rent to compress the valve springs one at a time, replace the seal, then reinstall the springs if you're willing to do that. Requires the cams come out of course and use a sharpie or an egg crate to keep all parts in order and put them back exactly as you found them. I can show you how to make a fast cheap adapter for the rented valve spring compressor, etc. Get into it!

·
Registered
89 Turbo - 2JZGE-T VVti (build/swap in progress)
179 Posts
You'll also need some valve stem seal pliers. They're like 8 bucks on amazon

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys! I’ve been reading a lot of threads on this forum for a while but I just joined. Great community. I’ll make sure to post a picture of the completed project (hopefully I remember) for the real ones.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Yes on the pliers. I had something that worked but one slip and you'll gouge the bore the bucket moves up and down in, so 8 clams is good insurance. Also, that Lisle tool is a great idea. Ironically, you'll only appreciate it if you DON'T use one. Like me. That was a significant time suck and also a danger of losing one of those tiny retainers over and over again. I was well into it before I wished I had one of those tools. An "if I did that over again" lesson - get one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts