Supra Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I noticed that a lot of people upgrade their head studs with ARP but don't hear too much talk about upgrading their main studs. My motor is apart and was just going to re-use the stock main studs and upgrade the head studs. Would it be wise to upgrade the main studs as well, or would I be okay re-using the stock ones? I never plan to make more than 800rwhp.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Im a tech at a Toyota dealer and I have rebuit a ton of motors. Each time I reuse the stock heads bolts or studs. They are a stretch to yield and Toyota says a one time use only. But you can reuse them a second time and you would be fine. In your case i would just upgrade now while you have it apart.

·
Registered
641 Posts
While you have it apart spend the Money and do it right. In this situation Peace of Mind for the right parts wont come even close to breaking the bank. NEVER reuse TTY Bolts. The TSRM says dont do it and it is the Bible for the Supra.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
For peace of mind I'd upgrade it. Cost is small but if the bolts fail, the consequences are catastrophic.

·
Raising the BAR
3,325 Posts
The rule of thumb is to replace them for any vehicle. Some manuals say it's ok to torque them down twice but I never risk it.

·
4 door shopping cart
96 Posts
Im a tech at a Toyota dealer and I have rebuit a ton of motors. Each time I reuse the stock heads bolts or studs. They are a stretch to yield and Toyota says a one time use only. But you can reuse them a second time and you would be fine. In your case i would just upgrade now while you have it apart.
One reason i would never let a shop work on my car

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Going to go ahead and order some ARP main studs. Thanks for the info guys

1 - 14 of 14 Posts