Supra Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
BPU is so 1997
5,349 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got one with my car when I bought it, not wired in though. Is this thing as good as an S-AFC is or should I get rid of it?

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
badmuthrfkr said:
I got one with my car when I bought it, not wired in though. Is this thing as good as an S-AFC is or should I get rid of it?
Doesn't the Fields allow you to store up to 4 different maps? Seems to me it was the de facto standard for a long time in the mkiv community.

The S-AFC allows the rpm point around which the AF ratio will be altered to be varied. Only stores a single map, though.

I don't think the hi/lo throttle on the S-AFC means much for us, since you should not be adjusting AF when the car is running closed-loop.

I wouldn't think the variable RPM points of the S-AFC are enough to offset the fact that:

1. The Fields is free, and is proven to work well.
2. You can set the Fields up with a conservative street map, and aggressive 1/4 mile-only map and still have memory left over for other maps you may want.

I'm interested in responses you get, since I am having a hard time deciding which of the two I prefer.

·
Toyotally Awesome
647 Posts
Re: Re: Should I keep the Fields AFC or is it trash?

Lagtime said:

Doesn't the Fields allow you to store up to 4 different maps? Seems to me it was the de facto standard for a long time in the mkiv community.

The S-AFC allows the rpm point around which the AF ratio will be altered to be varied. Only stores a single map, though.

I don't think the hi/lo throttle on the S-AFC means much for us, since you should not be adjusting AF when the car is running closed-loop.

I wouldn't think the variable RPM points of the S-AFC are enough to offset the fact that:

1. The Fields is free, and is proven to work well.
2. You can set the Fields up with a conservative street map, and aggressive 1/4 mile-only map and still have memory left over for other maps you may want.

I'm interested in responses you get, since I am having a hard time deciding which of the two I prefer.

Chip,

You're pretty doggone torn!!! :) j/k bud...

·
Old School
4,014 Posts
Re: Re: Re: Should I keep the Fields AFC or is it trash?

soarer 300 said:

Chip,

You're pretty doggone torn!!! :) j/k bud...
It's killing me, Cory, I haven't slept in days...

:D

4 different maps, or adjustable rpm points, hmmm...

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
I've got one, but haven't had time tune the thing on a dyno yet. Playing with it on the streets, I know I can kill the car, or cause it to hesitate really bad if I want to set some stupid adjustments. So far I like it. It has 0-400km function in it, RPM shift lite and beep function, and it measure KMH also. Andi has one tuned, he might be able to give more insight on he feels about the unit. Not as pretty as the APEXi unit though. I've heard the APEXi unit can be real hard to adjust sometimes, especially on the fly. You shouldn't have to adjust though once you get it tuned on the dyno, unless you switch back and forth from race to pump gas alot. Good luck in your choice.

·
Registered
882 Posts
More info...

I bought a Fields and was then told it wasnt that good, so I bought a GCC to plug right into my VPC. Well, I am not impressed with the GCC, so I was considering going back to the Fields or a SAFC. BUT, what about the HKS SAFR??? Anyone using it at all and how do you like it?? Thanks!

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: More info...

The Fields SFC Hyper R is the best fuel computer out there. It is the only one that allows you to have 3 fuel maps as well as shut it off (i.e. an all zero'd out fuel map).

I used to have a S-AFC too. I'd only buy one if I had to for one of its exclusive features (i.e. upto +/-40% adjustment vs. the SFC's +/-30%, ability to add readings from two MAFs, etc).

Keep the Fields.

Andi

·
Registered
50 Posts
actually i have/had the fields sfc-vtec controller on a gsr and i have the sfc on my supra. i love the fact that its simple to use and has the beep function, af monitor and such. But the wire on the sfc (purple) going to the MAF shorted out. It caused my car to die at random times. Im not sure if i got a messed up sfc or what, but if your car ever dies, and you get a check code of 35 (maf) i think, then it could be your fields.

But what i wonder now is, since most cars in Japan do not have a maf, and with the fields, you tap into the maf, how accurate or efficient is this unit? just a thought

·
Registered
882 Posts
Hey Andi???

Do you have any knowledge or experience with the HKS Super AFR?? Thanks!

PS - This is a stab in the dark, but I am curious if you will remember. I sold my 1995 MR2 Turbo, Black on Tan, to a guy that says he knows you very well. I am in Virginia and he flew out to drive it home. This took place about 1 year ago. Just wondering if this rings any bells. He was telling me how much you knew about turbos and stuff and how you were into the roadcoarse scene. Just curious....if you do remember, how is he and the car doing?? He said he was gonna make a website just like you that will talk about all of his mods in sort of a diary style. Take it easy. Peace!

·
Supra OG
1,002 Posts
Re: Hey Andi???

n disgii said:
Do you have any knowledge or experience with the HKS Super AFR?? Thanks!

PS - This is a stab in the dark, but I am curious if you will remember. I sold my 1995 MR2 Turbo, Black on Tan, to a guy that says he knows you very well. I am in Virginia and he flew out to drive it home. This took place about 1 year ago. Just wondering if this rings any bells. He was telling me how much you knew about turbos and stuff and how you were into the roadcoarse scene. Just curious....if you do remember, how is he and the car doing?? He said he was gonna make a website just like you that will talk about all of his mods in sort of a diary style. Take it easy. Peace!
I don't know anything about the HKS Super AFR. Never seen one.

That doesn't ring a bell.... what's his name?

Andi

1 - 15 of 15 Posts