Supra Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok, i just found out i have got the auto rear end on my 6speed (i think). and i got a 65mph speeding ticket when my meter was reading 80mph. last owner said its got TRD LSD. is the 6speed rear end better or the auto one? how do i know if i got a TRD LSD? any help?

:hug:

·
Banned
977 Posts
I think he means that his spedo is off and was reading 80mph when the cop "Clocked him" at 65 mph?

Edit:: Depends on what you plan to do with the car... That will decide if its better for you.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
InvisibleMonkey said:
i know the auto rear end is shorter, but i don't know if it's better

how much shorter? i wanna road racing the car if i am going to keep it. this is not a good daily car, too much gas, too much money that i wanna spend with.

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
roliks said:
I think he means that his spedo is off and was reading 80mph when the cop "Clocked him" at 65 mph?

Edit:: Depends on what you plan to do with the car... That will decide if its better for you.

the ticket said 65mph, but my meter was reading 80mph.

·
IJM Mafia!
2,627 Posts
this is just assuming, BUT i think that the 6-speed rear end would be the preferred choice as it is made to be used with the 6-speed

i want to say that the 6-speed rear end will last longer as the 6-speed is a stronger transmission and it was the "performance" rear end, but like i said, i don't know for sure

·
Exiled Supra Owner
3,703 Posts
You really won't know if you have a TRD LSD unless you break open the pumpkin. Or you can find someone that has a Torsen and another person with a TRD and take them both around the corner. :eek4dance

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
InvisibleMonkey said:
this is just assuming, BUT i think that the 6-speed rear end would be the preferred choice as it is made to be used with the 6-speed

i want to say that the 6-speed rear end will last longer as the 6-speed is a stronger transmission and it was the "performance" rear end, but like i said, i don't know for sure

right, i do have the same thought. they know people want a manual race car more than auto race car. so, they should have made the 6speed rear end better. but i don't hear auto supra track car swap to 6speed rear end, i wanna hear people about these 2 different rear ends.

·
Registered
325 Posts
The durability of either rear end shouldn’t be a question. There are plenty of sub 10 second cars running the auto rear end. The real difference is going to be which parts are stressed, and what type of setup you are shooting for. I run the auto rear end with my six speed, as it really seems to help spool the turbos faster, and I don’t mind I rev a little higher on the freeway and have to shift more often. As well, having the shorter gears makes it easier to run a stiff clutch, imho. I have a RPS stage 3, and its really livable as 1st is so short and easy to slip. As well, I have heard it rumored that using the auto rear end will stress the transmission less and the rear end more, however I’m sure thats really a minor discrepancy and your driving style will make the difference. As well, make sure to check that you are running the right driveshaft setup. The six speed and auto rear ends are actually different lengths, so the drive shaft varies according to the setup. To use an auto rear end with a six speed, you have to use one half of a six speed drive shaft, and one half of an auto. Check on mkiv.com for more information under the six speed section. Make sure yours is set up right, or you could be in for some trouble!

·
Registered
907 Posts
^^^^ the 6spd tranny with a auto diff shouldnt be off at the speedo by 15mph. also the driveshaft should be like sonic stated but is ok for a while if its only auto. i would def change it but from experience, the auto in there will hold quite a bit. i got a lil ballsy last year and went to track and pulled off a 11.9 and 1.9 60 on the shorter shaft but would never do that again nor recomend it to anyone else. its significantly shorter and might break in some cases...

this is how much shorter it is....

·
i always say toyota !
2,761 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
wow, thats alot shorter. should not drive it like that at all. i think mine is got the right auto rear end swap. and i am having 15mph over when i am on 65mph. could it be the TRD LSD? is the TRD LSD got shorter gears?

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
YaosAuto said:
wow, thats alot shorter. should not drive it like that at all. i think mine is got the right auto rear end swap. and i am having 15mph over when i am on 65mph. could it be the TRD LSD? is the TRD LSD got shorter gears?

ring and pinion determine gearing not the lsd

·
Somebody's Watching Me!
1,876 Posts
i have an auto rearend in my 6 speed i have never driven a 6 speed with the 6 speed rear end but i can tell you that it takes off out of the hole better than some of the 6 speed supras around here. What i was told is that the auto rearend will only limit your top end the 6 speed rear end will be faster in the higher gears.

·
Racing Supras since 1995
151 Posts
YaosAuto said:
ok, i just found out i have got the auto rear end on my 6speed (i think). and i got a 65mph speeding ticket when my meter was reading 80mph. last owner said its got TRD LSD. is the 6speed rear end better or the auto one? how do i know if i got a TRD LSD? any help?

:hug:
so, are you going to argue the ticket and say that you thought you were going 80mph?

·
Registered
13,581 Posts
If I ran off and changed parts everytime a cop gave me a ticket that said I was going a little slower than I really was, I'd have a whole new car by now. You need to confirm what you have more reliably than what the cop said.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts