Supra Forums banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
1,977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ordered side skirts for my alpine silver MKIV. I'm planning on getting a Do-luck hood and fenders just before the skirts arrive from Japan. My current front bumper needs paint too......so it looks like I will be having the entire front half of the car sprayed. The paint on my car is in good shape, should I just have the front blended? Or do you think it would be best to just paint the entire car?

·
Registered
1,098 Posts
If you can afford to paint the whole car then do that. That way all the paint is the exact same color and came from the same gun.

·
ELITECUSTOMBODY
6,552 Posts
just have a good shop blend into the doors, there is no reason to waste money ,especially when there is nothing wrong with the rest of the car,repaints never look as good as original paint unless you spend atleast $5k+ on a paint job

·
Banned
299 Posts
A good painter can blend black into white. If there are no paint issues anywhere else on the car, you might as well go with a blend.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
exvelocity said:
just have a good shop blend into the doors, there is no reason to waste money ,especially when there is nothing wrong with the rest of the car,repaints never look as good as original paint unless you spend atleast $5k+ on a paint job

+1

Just make sure the check the color before spraying your car.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Driftracer3 said:
Any shop with common sense will spray a panel and do a comparison in the sunlight.
Says who?
It's very common to just make the paint according to the scale using "standard match", then spraying the car - with a blend......all without even checking the color first with a test panel.
It's much more unlikley that a test panel will be sprayed because it takes more time and painters aren't that patient, and are happy with blending without adjusting the color.
Nothing wrong with not checking as long as it's getting blended with a half way decent paint brand. But don't think painters are shooting test panels every day on all their jobs. I can't remember the last time any of my painter friends did a test panel.

·
Banned
299 Posts
I guess Im incredibly picky when it comes to paint work. Maybe thats why Ive never had a cutomer return with a problem.

I guess in theory you wouldnt necessarily need to check the color in sunlight because you are blending, and not doing a spot repair and blend. Ive seen some spot repairs that look fine in the booth, and horrible in the sunlight, and some that look great in the booth and sunlight, but under the flourescent lights in a parking lot show exactly where the repair/blend was. And its all because of the paint system difference between OEM and refinishing.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Driftracer3 said:
I guess Im incredibly picky when it comes to paint work. Maybe thats why Ive never had a cutomer return with a problem.

I guess in theory you wouldnt necessarily need to check the color in sunlight because you are blending, and not doing a spot repair and blend. Ive seen some spot repairs that look fine in the booth, and horrible in the sunlight, and some that look great in the booth and sunlight, but under the flourescent lights in a parking lot show exactly where the repair/blend was. And its all because of the paint system difference between OEM and refinishing.

Yeah, what you're saying here makes total sence. But it doesn't change the fact that 8-9 out of 10 shops/painter don't bother to shoot a test card. That's all I was pointing out....from my standpoint and all the shops I worked at.

I cut my teeth in a shop that used Sherwin Williams (Martin Senour) paint......we were required to shoot test cards, but that's because that brand sucks so bad. Especially back in the early-mid 90s :D So trust me, I totally see it both ways! :)

·
Banned
299 Posts
Hahaha, yeah, Ive never been a Martin Senour paint fan. They are getting better, but theyre nowhere near where they should be!

·
Super Moderator
10,801 Posts
TNH said:
I just ordered side skirts for my alpine silver MKIV. I'm planning on getting a Do-luck hood and fenders just before the skirts arrive from Japan. My current front bumper needs paint too......so it looks like I will be having the entire front half of the car sprayed. The paint on my car is in good shape, should I just have the front blended? Or do you think it would be best to just paint the entire car?
Well, the experts have already contributed to this thread, and they know their stuff, but I have personally never seen a good blend job with silver paint. So I would paint the whole car no matter how good the rest of your paint job appears to the naked eye. There's more than one Alpine Silver cars on this board where it appears several panels are different shades of AS, although they're all suppose to be the same color. Good luck.

Ken.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
Silver is definitely a more sensitive color than most all else. It's just the nature of the light metallics.

But on the other hand, I will say that when I've gone to the bodyshop where a friend paints, I've seen GREAT results with silvers and light GM SUV golds.....that is with RM paint. I've been very impressed more than once with RM's match on those colors (with blend jobs, not complete paint jobs). The light gold blend was on my friend's Tahoe and I couldn't find his blend in the quarter.
Maybe the technology in the paint these days is getting better with certain brands (or all brands).
I'd say it boils down to th ebrand and the skill of the painter and his efferts with his blending techniques.
Goes right back to finding the right shop to do a good job for you.

·
Kirisute Gomen
2,747 Posts
exvelocity said:
that would mean they doubt the paint system they use, :ugh2:
I had painted a car once, it was a 1998 Camaro, it was the factory red color, when I mixed it up, and sprayed the hood, and thank god it was just the hood. I was looking at it in the paint booth and realized the back half of the car didn't match. Turns out Maaco, we called the owner and found out, didn't even come fucking close to mixing it correctly. They had too much black in it, it was crazy.

So yes Stefan, visual comparisons are okay in some situations.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
X2daC said:
I had painted a car once, it was a 1998 Camaro, it was the factory red color, when I mixed it up, and sprayed the hood, and thank god it was just the hood. I was looking at it in the paint booth and realized the back half of the car didn't match. Turns out Maaco, we called the owner and found out, didn't even come fucking close to mixing it correctly. They had too much black in it, it was crazy.

So yes Stefan, visual comparisons are okay in some situations.

Well there's your problem right there....you panel-shot the hood (painted hood only). Should have done a blend for a big ass panel like a hood.
But as for this thread....the main question is to either do a blend or do a complete paintjob.
Panel-shooting a job is pretty much asking for a mismatch, especially without checking it first.
A color can be close enough to do a nice blend, but not close enough to do a panel-shoot.

Edit: I'm not suggesting that your red paint from Maaco would have been blendable.....just pointing out that no matter what, a panel-shoot job is asking for color-match drama.

·
Banned
888 Posts
blend it but if u have extra dough or u have money shit just paint the whole car.

·
Registered
3,170 Posts
exvelocity said:

Bump for this.

It's hard enough for guys to pick a shop that will do a good-enough average job. I wouldn't blindly leave it at Joe Blow's shop for a complete, when that includes removing so many parts to do it clean. That's just leaving way too much in the hands of painter-x at x-shop, on a car with perfectly fine factory paint elsewhere.

Otherwise, the car now has matching paint all over (since it was a complete paintjob), but now has 10 things wrong with the finish to say the least.

That's why I say, get them to get the color just right....you confirm it with them ahead of time...and then just have them paint what needs to be painted and blended. Just have them agree NOT to paint the car until you say that you're happy with the test panel etc.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts