Supra Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

Would you guys tune / cut these rotors? It's been sitting in the garage for about 5 years now (previous owner), and was wondering if I should take it to Pepboys and get it tuned or someone told me as I drive the rust will go away as I use my breaks.

In a year or so, I do plan on getting a new brake system.
All four rotors look like this.

·
Premium Member
3,148 Posts
Go down the road, the brake pads will remove the rust. I would be more concerned about fuel and brake fluid.

Later, Steve

·
Registered
162 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
ya, i plan on bleeding out my breaks, and the fuel tank was drained. I also plan on changing all fluids in the supra as well as a new fuel filter, and new spark plugs.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Once you use the brakes any surface rust will go away quickly, But if you don't feel comfortable with them go and order a set of cheap drilled and slotted to get you through the time being.Goodluck either way

·
Registered
686 Posts
The rust will go away. I would be worried about having moisture in the brake system too long.
I have seen cars that had the brake system rust from the inside. Sometimes the calipers will freeze.

Also, it's called turn the rotors. Not tune.

·
Registered
652 Posts
You need to measure them before you can have them turned. You can just use the brakes and get rid of the rust, but I would just have them turned.

Hell its only $14 /ea at Pepboys to turn them off the car. Its probably a good idea to remove the wheels and inspect the pads at the same time. While your down there with the wheels off, may as well flush the brake fluid aswell.

·
Registered
286 Posts
^^^agreed. I would just turn them. All that rust will come off when you drive down the street, but I would prefer it be in the trash after the rotors are turned. You definitely need to check how much meat is on the rotor before you turn them. Too little meat will be just as bad as having 5 yr-old rusted rotors.

·
Ahh GODZIRA!
790 Posts
Id just run them as is for a couple of days. If they dont clear up or if they feel funny then it's time to turn them.

·
King of Snark
1,521 Posts
you own a mkiv supra.. don't be cheap go get yourself a decent set of pads and rotors and go enjoy your car. This isn't a honda.

·
SuperMember
3,154 Posts
you own a mkiv supra..
:sleep:

I would remove them and have them checked for thickness and turned, as someone else stated, they are about 10 dollars a rotor to get it turned

Now if you want to get them tuned, I would contact John Reed and you will at least need a Motec M800 ems :D

·
Blood for Blood
8,324 Posts
Tune them baby... thats like 10hp a rotor...

·
Registered
41 Posts
ya, i plan on bleeding out my breaks, and the fuel tank was drained. I also plan on changing all fluids in the supra as well as a new fuel filter, and new spark plugs.
Sorry, I work at a brake shop and it kills me that people actually spell BRAKES.....BREAKS. Bad concept/idea of your brakes actually breaking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts